Giants News

kkr

Watched it in Vegas and just ended up getting bombed on cocktails we were that bad in the second half!

Good summary on BBI about how we killed drives with stupid penalties, but for the most part we kept up with them.

Few injuries, stupid penalties, two weak fumbles by Donnell are the difference. Tough close game those things aside and thats all on us. Plus some bad play calls too, stuck with the run a bit too much and Fewell was classic Fewell again.

Beckham looks good as does Eli. Get some decent consistent Oline play and we might be a good balanced offense.

Randle is a dumbass and Donnell has been a non factor since teams keyed on him so we need Beckham and someone else to start making plays.

Tough schedule over the next few weeks post bye, so we will see if we are ready to give up on the season or not.

I would take 10-6 in a heartbeat but think 6-10 is more likely currently. Need to come together as a team and go on a run.

Indy, Seattle, San Fran and Dallas the next 4. Jacksonville, Tennessee, Washington, St Louis and Philly to finish out the year.

Could see us going 0-4 from the next 4, but with 3 of them being at home I think we'll take one of them. The last 5 are probably all winnable, but we'll most likely lose to Philly if they gave something to play for, and probably one of the 3 road games.

7-9 I reckon.

Hopefully we can get out of the Beatty, Beason and Kiwanuka contracts to free up some money next season. 

Looking at overthecap Beatty we would have £100k dead money so we likely have to put up with him on the roster stealing money for another season, but at least he would be average depth.

Can save $3.5m by cutting Elijah Price..... sorry Jon Beason and $4.8m by cutting Kiwanuka so those wont be tough decisions.  Means circa $5m dead money on the cap, but im willing to eat that to cut a glass man who wont play and someone who doesnt makes plays.. Ayers had 7 of the teams 11 QB hits yesterday, he needs to start over Kiwanuka who is and always has been JAG on this roster.  He is not good enough to start week in week out.

Id cut Walton to save $2.5m, play Richburg at C where he belongs and sign some damn guards in free agency or the draft.  As good as Beckham has been, look at what the cowboys have done with their emphasis on the Oline in the draft the past 3 seasons.  Smith, Frederick and Martin in the first round and all are beasts.  Imagine Eli on that team with a legitimate big #1 WR, HOF TE, record setting RB and a solid mauling oline!  We can dream!

$830k savings to cut Randle and only £200k dead money....BYE!

Id also get Eli a new contract and look to do something similar to what the Patriots did with Brady, i.e. cough up a load of cash up front as a bonus to then keep his salary cap number down around $15m or less.  Lets be honest with the shit Olines he has had to suffer since a season or two before the last Super Bowl, he has earned a nice lump sum of cash and getting the cap number down and comparable to Brady will help with rebuilding the line/team as we blow most of it up.

I extend Eli and Coughlin and fire Reese and Marc Ross.  The lack of talent stops with the GM and head of scouting.  Getting blown out as often as we have the past few years is a indictment of talent levels and not coaching ability.  Fewell has to go though and Quinn.  McAdoo stays and Coughlin if he wants to has to reup to do so to agree to a long term rebuild plan.

I say long term rebuild, i mean overhaul of the roster.  Not ruling out us turning it around in a season or two as teams have shown it can be done, even with a massive overhaul of the roster.

McAdoo has turned the worst red zone unit into a near top 5 unit in 8 games and that is with a shite oline, no TE's, no RB's and nothing at WR outside of Cruz and Beckham who has only started playing the last 3 games.  Imagine if we had a Plax like receiver, a Shockey like TE and a 2007-2011 type oline with McAdoo calling the shots.  I will settle for an average Oline and a reliable #2 receiver to go with Cruz and Beckham and that would see us be a very good offense imo.  Jennings and Williams would be good behind a decent Oline.

Anyway thats a lengthy ramble.  I think we can still win the next three games.  If we bring pressure like last night against Wilson, Kapernick and Weeden/Romo in the next 3 games, im not worried about any of them shredding us like Luck did, so we should be able to keep their scores down and hopefully get some offense going.  Lose against Seattle though and thats it done then.  Turn out the lights and put a fork in us.

• Like 1

Hopefully we cut all of this being a classy organisation nonsense and make changes that need to be made for the benefit of the team. Coughlin has to go. Fewell is a fruad. McAdoo is seriously killdrive level. Big changes needed. Need a total overhaul of the linebackers, none of them can cover and get run over like they're not even there.

McAdoo i think has done ok considering the woeful talent level, injuries and piss poor oline.  He is also handcuffed by Coughlin's insistance that we stay balanced on offense even though the line sucks.  6 runs on first down in the second half, 11 yards and one holding call.

Fewell, Quinn, Coughlin have to go and Reese and Ross.

Another season down the shitter and another year with Eli manning wasted.  Change needed.

Speaking of down the shitter!

Ralph Vacchiano & #8207;@RVacchianoNYDN 21s22 seconds ago
Asked about what defensive adjustments were made at halftime, Jason Pierre-Paul said "I don't know. I was in the bathroom."

Leave McAdoo where he is, get a half competent Oline and another weapon or two for Eli and we will have a good offense.

Hire a defensively minded HC, completely overhaul the defensive roster and lets go again!

Reese has to go though, the talent level has been in steady decline since he took over due to bad drafting and bad FA acquisitions.  Putting together the worst Oline and worst D in the league most seasons for a franchise QB capable of doing it all is a disgrace.  It is a miracle that Eli hasnt been seriously injured the past few years, so hopefully he can see out the year and have a chance at competing again next season.

Agreed on Reese. 2007 win was all Accorsi. While the roster did change quite a bit in 2011, it was mostly down to Eli and the pass blocking (all Accorsi). Reese has drafted and signed some talent, but it's been more miss than hit.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Season well and truly over.  Pug hurt and Brown came in to play turnstyle, sorry i mean RT.  Eli is going to end up hurt or throwing 5 picks every week if the line play doesnt imporove

I know you guys like him, but McAdoo is trash. It's not his insistence with the run that bothered me today, it was his play selection. It was dreadful. While the OL didn't help, it was shocking for the most part. Randle needs to be taken out back and put down. Embarrassing from him today.

Fortunately season was over anyway and the loss is completely meaningless.

Look at GB, thats what this offense looks like with a number of targets to throw to and a half decent OL.  Going to be growing pains with the offense this year, especially with the lack of talent, but i think its the right offense for Eli, Beckham and Cruz.  If we could find a big outside receiver, even a possession receiver who will be in the right spot where the QB needs him to be then i think the offense will really come along.

Above all that though we need to get Schwarz in the lineup and move Richburg to center to see what we have in them.  The rest of the Oline is trash and Pugh is too soft to play RT in this league.  Get rid of them all, see if Pugh can play guard and drop Beatty on his huge contract asap.

Above all else we need to sort the oline this offseason.  Dline probably needs just as much attention too though!

As boring as it sounds, it's still all about the offensive line for Giants
November, 16, 2014
Nov 16
6:45
PM ET
By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- We are at the point in the New York Giants' season when fans want to fire the coach and replace the quarterback and talk about all the very rash moves they'd like to see in the offseason because they want blood.

You pay -- with your money and your heart -- to follow this team, and you're just sick of it all. The Giants are 3-7, worse after 10 games than they were last year, and all but assured of missing the playoffs for the fifth time in six years. You're hurting, and no one can blame you.

But what's wrong with the Giants isn't the coach. You can't watch these past two games and think they're not playing hard for Tom Coughlin. Until Eli Manning threw five interceptions Sunday in a 16-10 loss to the San Francisco 49ers, you really couldn't put it on the quarterback -- not this season.

nfl_a_elimanning_sk_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Bill Kostroun

Eli Manning had a terrible day against the 49ers, but it wasn't all his fault.

The problem with the Giants is a roster that eroded due to years of lousy drafting and remains in the early stages of an extensive and much-needed rebuild. The Giants entered the past offseason with more than one offseason's worth of work to do, and they'll hit this offseason with a great deal more still to do. No matter who the coach and quarterback are next year or the year after, the Giants retain a crying, fundamental need to fix their foundation -- specifically the offensive line.

It was just too easy for the 49ers' pass rush Sunday, especially once starting right tackle Justin Pugh went out early in the game with a quad injury. The 49ers ran every kind of pass-rush game they could think of at the right side of the Giants' offensive line, where Charles Brown and John Jerry were overwhelmed even when they were one-on-one, and they whacked and harassed Manning all day. They sacked him twice and hit him seven times.

You can say Manning should handle pressure better than he did, and you'd be right. But it's the organization's job to keep the pressure off Manning, and it's painfully obvious this organization still isn't doing a good enough job of it.

"He had great pressure today," Coughlin said of Manning. "I don't think anybody's going to argue with that one, especially when they run a simple T-E up front and hit him full-steam two or three times today."

It's troubling that Jerry and Brown are playing full games at right guard and right tackle this late in the season. The Giants went into free agency and the draft with a mandate to fix the line, and part of what they claimed to do was find enough veteran depth to cover them in case of injury this year. But while Brown and Jerry are both veterans, they're cheap, Band-Aid solutions to a significant problem that can only be fixed through drafting and development. As much fun as rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. is, you can still make a convincing case that a first-round offensive lineman would have been a better choice if the Giants were really thinking long-term about their foundation.

They did take Weston Richburg in the second round, and he has started every game so far at left guard. They did sign free-agent guard Geoff Schwartz, who has yet to play because of a toe injury. But the fact that so many leaks still remain speaks to the severity of the problems they were confronting the past offseason. They're still in the early stages of this project. Is Pugh a long-term answer at tackle, or does he need to move to guard? Is Will Beatty really a franchise cornerstone at left tackle, or do they need to make a major investment there? Is Richburg's future at center, or is J.D. Walton a keeper?

The team coming to town next week, the Dallas Cowboys, provides a prime example of what the Giants need to do. After years of neglecting the line and paying the price with underachieving teams, the Cowboys have used their first-round pick on an offensive lineman in three of the past four years and now boast one of the best lines in the league. It's not brain surgery. Looking for cheap solutions in free agency or the middle rounds of the draft is no way to build the most important part of your offensive foundation. You have to spend -- either free-agent money or high picks or both -- to build the line you need in today's NFL.

The Giants have started to at least look like a team that gets this, as they took Pugh in the first round in 2013 and Richburg early in the second this year, but they need to keep after it. They need to make the line a high priority item on which they spend significant resources. Because whatever they end up doing with Manning, and whoever's coaching them into the future, they're not going to be able to score points reliably until they're better up front.

Link

Following on from that article im going to post this which i save for special occasions when trolling other fans:

Things Eli Manning has done that no other QB in the history of the NFL can claim:

- Completed 100 passes in a postseason (106 in 2011)

- Thrown for 1,200 or more yards in a postseason (1,219 in 2011)

- Led two game winning TD drives in the final 4 minutes of a Super Bowl

- Win a Super Bowl with the 32nd ranked rushing offense

- Lead at least 21 4th quarter comebacks (including playoffs) in his first 8 seasons (Tom Brady is 2nd with 20)

- Beaten Tom Brady and Bill Belichick 2x in the postseason

- Won 2 road playoff games at Lambeau field

- Won at least 6 playoff games against teams who went 13-3 or better

- Won 10 road games in a single season (including playoffs, 2007)

- Won a Super Bowl with a defense that allowed 400 or more points

- Won a Super Bowl while accounting for over 80% of your teams offense (threw for 4,933 of the Giants 6,161 yards of total offense in 2011)

- Throw for at least 27,000 yards in his first 8 seasons while winning a SB in that span (he's won 2, and 2 MVPs), only 4 other QB have thrown for 27,000+ in their first 8 seasons, none of them won a SB though.

- Thrown 2 go ahead TD's in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl

- Driven his team down to score the winning TD in the Super Bowl with less than 2 minutes to play when anything less meant defeat. (i.e. 4 point+ deficit)

- Name me a QB that has on one single occasion driven his team down to win in OT of the championship game and then engineered a comeback win in the Super Bowl with less than 2 minutes to play.  You cant, aside from Eli Manning, who has done it twice.

- Most 4th-quarter touchdown passes in a season (15 in 2011)

**** it, we are in the early stages of a rebuild.  Sign me up for another run with Eli and TC, my eggs are in that basket.  Id look to big changes with scouts, training staff, playing/training field surfaces and also probably fire Reese if there is an adequate replacement.  We need linemen and lots of them.

Agreed, i keep changing my mind.  There is a slim chance we could win out and still make the playoffs....... :D

Well Tiki Barber has come out again today and said Coughlin must go, so that must mean next season is perhaps our SB run! :)

Plenty of articles today about the lack of talent on the team, which makes me thing its Reese more on the hotseat than TC.  Both could stay still, but there needs to be drastic changes in the scouting network.

Â