Password - Google Security Alert

wilko154

Question

4 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I received an email today to advise that one of my passwords was found in a data breach from a site I use.

The password was for my Villa Talk account.

Anyone else had something similar?

My password is now changed.

It’s common I believe. I have had a few. I’m no expert, but the passwords compromised- if they’re for sites like iPlayer, reading the newspaper online and no money could be involved I don’t care. If it was for something like VT or social media, I’d do what you’ve wisely done and change it. If it was for something potentially involving money (bank, Amazon etc) then I’d make sure I had 2FA enabled and a complex unique password and so on. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I received an email today to advise that one of my passwords was found in a data breach from a site I use.

The password was for my Villa Talk account.

Anyone else had something similar?

My password is now changed.

Just to reassure you, we've not had a data breach.

However, if you want your account to be more secure, link it to your Google, Microsoft, Facebook or twitter account and rely on their 2factor. VT has it's own 2factor too.

Out of interest, what service do you subscribe to that sends these alerts?

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, limpid said:

Just to reassure you, we've not had a data breach.

However, if you want your account to be more secure, link it to your Google, Microsoft, Facebook or twitter account and rely on their 2factor. VT has it's own 2factor too.

Out of interest, what service do you subscribe to that sends these alerts?

It's just Google Password Manager, I think it's built into Chrome.

As you've both said it's likely something of nothing and isn't linked to any bank activity.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

It's just Google Password Manager, I think it's built into Chrome.

As you've both said it's likely something of nothing and isn't linked to any bank activity.

It's likely that you have used the password that you use here somewhere else and just don't remember. My password is a random sequence of 32 characters and my password manager remembers it for me (also the one built in to Chrome / Android). But discussing that would be off topic here.