The Catch-all Data Thread

VILLAMARV

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Much more likely to be account takeover, not malware on  a phone. If it was malware on the phone, it would effectively be a zero day and AV wouldn't help.

There is zero value having av on a phone as long as you keep the os and apps up to date.

The (outsourced) cyber security guys who updated her set up suggested it was malware. However, it was year's ago and I wasn't that close to the actual cyber stuff, just talked her through whether she needed to report the breath to the ICO (she did) as customer data was breached. If I can't get my wife to keep security apps on her phone do you think I can get her to update her apps when needed?

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The (outsourced) cyber security guys who updated her set up suggested it was malware. However, it was year's ago and I wasn't that close to the actual cyber stuff, just talked her through whether she needed to report the breath to the ICO (she did) as customer data was breached. If I can't get my wife to keep security apps on her phone do you think I can get her to update her apps when needed?

It's automatic by default on Android - I assume the same on IOS.

I still wouldn't spend money on AV as she won't be keeping that updated either (even if it's doing nothing).

Â