Trojan warning from Malwarebytes - bug / false positive or rogue ad?

TB

Question

I updated Malwarebytes today and got the 14-day real-time scanning trial version. Every time I open VillaTalk I get a warning about a Trojan. I've tried IE11, Edge and Firefox - cache and cookies cleared. I've also tried Chrome on another computer after installing Malwarebytes and get the same warnings every time I access the site - being signed in or not doesn't matter. False positive / bug in Malwarebytes or a problem with some ad?

Browsers tested:

IE11 (11.285.17134.0)
Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0
Firefox 62.0.3

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v 1803 (build 17134.286)

Malwarebytes version:

Version: 3.6.1.2711
Components Version: 1.0.463
Update Package Version: 1.0.7225
Licence: Trial

malwarebytes_warning.png

4 answers to this question

54 minutes ago, TB said:

I updated Malwarebytes today and got the 14-day real-time scanning trial version. Every time I open VillaTalk I get a warning about a Trojan. I've tried IE11, Edge and Firefox - cache and cookies cleared. I've also tried Chrome on another computer after installing Malwarebytes and get the same warnings every time I access the site - being signed in or not doesn't matter. False positive / bug in Malwarebytes or a problem with some ad?

It says to add it to an exclusions list - which I guess is only available on the paid version. The description is really poor - something called "Trojan" with no other name or details. There's no way to search on their web site.

Are you always connecting on the same wifi? Could you try a mobile hotspot just to rule out the wifi provider / ISP?

Anyone else getting this? Anyone know anything about this tool?

Malwarebytes is a shoot first ask questions later kind of anti-virus which has its benefits, but it also creates a lot of false positives as it tends to consider 90% of adverts to be some form of malware.

I get the same Trojan pop-up when I visit VillaTalk and I am 99% certain it's triggered by a certain Ad that Google Ads is trying to push. There is likely nothing malicious about the Ad, it's just Malwarebytes overreacting. 

6 hours ago, Daweii said:

Malwarebytes is a shoot first ask questions later kind of anti-virus which has its benefits, but it also creates a lot of false positives as it tends to consider 90% of adverts to be some form of malware.

I get the same Trojan pop-up when I visit VillaTalk and I am 99% certain it's triggered by a certain Ad that Google Ads is trying to push. There is likely nothing malicious about the Ad, it's just Malwarebytes overreacting. 

Interesting, but we don't serve Google Ads- at least not directly. I guess your statement could apply to any ad network though ?