Wifi question

StefanAVFC

I have a question; something that's puzzling me at work.

We have an ongoing ticket for a user. For me, it isn't a fault.

She's docked, with the LAN cable plugged into the docking station. When she undocks, the network switches to wifi. If she opens a document from a Shared environment, then undocks, the file switches to read only as the network is switched.

Would you see the same behaviour if you had the file open, connected to wifi, then moved to the opposite side of the building and switched APs? Would a switch in AP cause a disconnection and reconnection (however small) or would it be a totally seamless handover not causing the document to switch to read only?

Once you (even momentarily) disconnect from a network, any open file from that network, on your 'puter can't be saved to its original network location, (obviously). If you larer reconnect to that network then the local copy you have open can be saved to its orignial location - all stuff you know.

So the issue is not really network related, but how the application software and / or operating system handles the file type in terms of local caching, behaviour in the event of a disconnection e.g .auto making the file read-only (and ditto on reconnection) and so on.

I don't think it's a network fault.

I'm an idiot, though.

In a networked environment, why would you need a "lock" on a document?

It sounds like something legacy software would need. Contemporary software can deal with this "networking" that computers have been doing routinely for over 30 years.

Stop bashing the rocks together.

?

37 minutes ago, limpid said:

In a networked environment, why would you need a "lock" on a document?

It sounds like something legacy software would need. Contemporary software can deal with this "networking" that computers have been doing routinely for over 30 years.

Stop bashing the rocks together.

?

Config control dude.

Just now, blandy said:

Config control dude.

Real time per keystroke or click versioning with verified authorship of every change and named versions. Document level access control, not container level.

Rocks are for rock gardens.

Â