UHD Players / Streaming

Troglodyte

So I've recently bought a sexy OLED.  Some of the stuff with HDR/Dobly Vision on Netflix looks great, and although I don't watch a huge number of films at home, I'd like to watch some in UHD.  However, I'm not sure what the best option will be.  There don't appear to be many options for streaming 4K films - for example I'd like to watch Dunkirk in UHD but can't find that anywhere other than in physical format, unless I'm missing something?  If not, I'm guessing that getting a UHD Blu Ray player is the best option, and I've found a cheap refurb Panasonic player (here) that should do the trick.  I know it's hardly top of the range but should still be good from the reviews I've read.

Or is there something around the corner worth waiting for?  Obviously tech is always advancing and there will always be something better coming along, but again I'm happy to be informed if there's something I've not realised that would make it worth leaving a month or two.

And finally, if I do end up getting a player, does anyone have any experience with rental places like Cinema Paradiso, to save on always having to fork out for discs?  It's rare I watch a film more than once!

Edited by Troglodyte

The new visual codecs are HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.

The biggest brother of the Panasonic player you're looking at is a really good player. Visuals In the same ballpark as the Oppo UDP-203 and 205 which cost much more and serve as reference players for reviewers. So if it's just for watching films? The Panasonic machines are fine.

Why the Oppo decks are so much more is that they are universal players. They will play most common video and audio formats including the poshest HiFi and surround standards. They will play from CD/DVD/Blu Ray, memory sticks, mobile phones, digital cameras, computers, networks, drives and your telly's output from its Freeview decoder.

• Thanks 1

Have you considered an Apple TV 4k? Loads of content is currently available in 4k DV and HDR including Dunkirk.

The quality isn’t as good as physical but it’s not far off and the bonus is the content is more ch cheaper than physical discs.

Â