Laptop Spec ? (Excel)

Amsterdam_Neil_D

I have been told to find a laptop for work.

My current laptop whilst I am working in Excel is usually at or around 99% CPU most of the time.  I work with excel all day and the problem is that the rows / size of the sheets is really quite large (anything from 250 k rows * 40 rows to really big spreadsheets).  These are made up of either processed or raw CDRs from networks (Mobile / fixed) so that is why the size is big.

It can be that I need to do lookups or lookups using Keys made up of multiple fields etc.  (Am I explaining this OK ?)

So,  I have  excel running things and that's it.  I need to wait and wait,  nothing else works at all for 10 mins.

I think I have approx 1000 Euros I think to spend but its important that it gets through the Excel tasks faster.

Does anyone know what is the most important thing here ? I suspect the processor,  if the engine is slow what passes through the memory is throttled by the I/O of the processor.  Am I on the right track with that ?

Thanks in advance,  its rare for me to get anything from work so I want to make my life easier you see.

Current Laptop Booooooo.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.15063 Build 15063
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    ICNLLT070
System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
System Model    XPS 13 9350
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    0704
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    7.85 GB

I recommend finding a better tool for the job. Databases are great at managing data :)

I know windows is appalling, but is there a way to find out what's slowing your current machine down? From your description I'm prepared to bet that you are blocking on IO because Excel is using more memory than you have and swapping. If I'm right you just need more RAM. I suspect your pretty little XPS can't be upgraded.

So either a machine with enough RAM or use a better tool for the job.

28 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Does anyone know what is the most important thing here ?

First and foremost, make sure there's no errors in the files or the templates, or any fancy-ass colours and other eyecandy. Raw text only. The amount of times I've seen this is staggering.

And make sure you don't maximize your RAM, that will make the pc grind to a halt.

• Like 1

Â