Athens

Tayls

Spent a couple of days there the other year  , interesting place , due to the political situation at the time there was a slight undercurrent in the air of unrest but no real threat mainly as the place was pretty quiet ( A lot of the Greeks leave Athens in the summer months )

You can kind of walk around with a map and see most stuff (lot of walking)  , the obvious stuff is of course worth seeing (Parthenon , Acropolis  etc)  but you'll see the Olympic stadium (  Panathenaic ) as you walk around and also various other interesting bits and pieces  .... The Military museum was very interesting , some very educational short films next to the exhibits about the aftermath with the civil war  .  we walked up Lykavittos hill in the sweltering heat and got some great views of the whole city , but there is a funicular train if you aren't stupid like we were

Delphi is a day trip out if you want to see where Fabian was born

Nightlife was fairly subdued where we were , the World cup was on but even then a lot of the bars were fairly quiet  , but this was 2014 when the country was at the height of it's financial meltdown , though my mate and I spent enough money on beer to single handily left the country out of it's recession

From Athens we went to Corfu and took a ferry to Albania , if you like your nightlife then Corfu would be a suggestion ... we landed there at 6am and the bars were still in full throw .. no reason why you couldn't do a day trip to Albania either if you have a few days in Corfu , Butrint is a hugely impressive set of Roman remains that you could see in a day trip from Corfu (subject to the return ferry time)

Cheers Tony. Looking forward to getting there. I am there for my honeymoon, so want to make sure we do enough to see the best of Athens and perhaps go somewhere decent to eat one of the nights. Any good street food there as well? We only have a couple of nights there before moving onto Mykonos for 4 days and then Santorini for a further 4 days.  

(we went to Corfu a couple of years back and I reallllllly wanted to go across to Sarande to take in Butrint - but no one would go with me - was gutted. Kind of wish I went on my own now, even if to just tick another country from my list). 

The Acropolis/Parthenon is an absolute must, so we will take a stroll there. What's the rest of the place like to get around - I hear there a few sketchy parts that we should probably avoid but that's just stuff I have read on trip advisor from a few years back...There was one area in particular but I have forgotten what it was called...  

couple of days is probably about right ...

As you come out of the Acropolis/Parthenon you can walk down a pedestrian zone and when you come out at the end there are loads of little market type shops and street food going on .. I predictably went for a kebab :) and got my fridge magnet for my board !!

we covered miles as we walked about ,  few areas we walked through looked a wee bit rough but didn't feel unsafe in any of it

We went to a restaurant that had an upstairs balcony so you could see the Parthenon all  lit up as you ate your dinner  ...  no idea what it was called though   .... might have been Strofi ? google it and see if it fits the bill for your decent meal ..make sure you reserve way in advance so you get the patio

Edited by tonyh29

Â