PC RAM Issue

Designer1

Hi folks,

I'm having an intermittent BSOD on my home PC. Seems to only happen when i'm playing memory intensive games (it's fine when i'm browsing the net and even using apps like Photoshop), and has only began to happen the last couple of days.

From reading online the particular error message I get (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) seems to be RAM related. I ran the standard Windows memory check but that didn't find any errors. 

So, can anyone recommend a more intensive (free if possible) test that will identify that the RAM is the issue before I fork out for replacement memory?

I've read that memtest86 is good, had anyone tried that?

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

When did you last clean the fans/heatsinks?

About 3-4 months ago. 

That's one of the things i'm going to try later on once i've finished my work for the day.

It's running absolutely fine at the moment, and I just tried a particularly memory intensive game in the background and that didn't cause any issues.

• Like 1

MY first port of call would be to looking at the ram settings and timings in the bios and compare what the reccomended settings from the manufacturers website are. Sometimes the auto-detect settings in the bios get it wrong, it's a problem I've had before. Another alternative would be to just drop the mem clock speeds a level and see if the problem persists.

• Like 1

Â