Around the World Travel / Year Working Abroad

PongRiddims

Hello friends,

It's looking like, following recent events, that I'll soon be free of most commitments or ties to the UK (no woman, no debts, no kids, no mortgage), and with money in the bank considering my options. I've never really travelled, done holidays but no time out, and thinking a good 12 months away could serve me well. Don't really know where to start planning though. I'm in a decent job but won't be upset about giving it up, might be able to get a career break, not sure. I'd like to be able to earn on travels if possible but not essential, no preference other than I don't like getting jabs so any advice or thoughts welcome. I genuinely don't know where to start.

Trent spent some time in Australia when he was a young man so could advise on that.  Most people that go there don't seem to want to come back.

Canada is great, and if you could get something in Vancouver for a year you'd a) have a mate over here, and B) get to spend a year on the west coast which is, quite frankly, stunningly beautiful and a different way of life.

Most of the colonies require a visa application of some sort though, so Europe might be an easier option.

As for round the world travel, I've only ever done it on a work front so can't help much but plenty of folks head out towards Asia, then Down Under and on to South America from there.  Just all depends on what the aim is really.  Travelling is perhaps easier to pull off at short notice if you've got the funds, whereas working will give you a better insight into "real life" abroad but is a bit harder to set up.

• Like 1

Just got back from Canada and there's a huge contingent of youngsters travelling though there, Vancouver was the same as the other big cities in that respect, whistler though was packed with them, so was the fairmonts in the likes of Banff and lake Louise, what qualifications have you got? From conversations I had there if you've something in leisure and tourism you'll pick something up there quite easy, from previous emigration shows I'm pretty sure Canada is also the place where you can get it based on your qualifications but not actually have to do that job, so for example if you were a nurse and got in through that route you don't actually have to be a nurse while you are there, you'll get a work permit and can go off and do what you like...that might be utter bollocks that I made up

• Like 1

I'm actually at the very start of doing this myself. 

I'm currently in the Himalayas in India after starting in Mumbai about 3 and a half weeks ago and working my way up North. My plan is to travel India for 2 months, before doing Nepal/Burma/Thailand/Cambodia/Lao/Vietnam within a month or two, then Hong Kong and Beijing before going to Japan and then finally I've got a 12 month working visa sorted for New Zealand from December.

Part of the reason I'm doing Asia is I did some backpacking around Europe when I was younger, but it is also much cheaper. For example, in India you can easily live comfortably on £500 per month. I think South East Asia may be slightly more expensive but not massively. For me the most expensive place will be Japan and then setting myself up in New Zealand, although thankfully I have some family over there that have offered to put me up while I find some work. The impression I get from them though is that it is very easy to find work in NZ at the moment.

I was in pretty much the same situation as you, no wife/kids/mortgage and I was becoming disillusioned with life in the UK so I decided to get out there and see some of the world while I still have my health and my freedom.

I'm not regretting it so far. Don't get me wrong, I have a big of a love/hate relationship with India but it's more love than hate. There have been a few things that are a bit of a culture shock, but if you're an open minded person (which I'm sure you are if you're thinking about doing this) then you'll find that's nothing more than "Oh, that's a bit odd."

As for my planning for it, it was very limited. I needed to get a visa for India in advance although I believe that has just changed and you can now get an e-visa for big entry points like Mumbai. Apart from that all the other countries are visa-on-arrival with the exception of China, although I can get into Hong Kong without a visa and get a Chinese one from there.

I literally just booked a flight to Mumbai and did the rest of it on the fly. It's easy enough to get around and you meet other travellers who can help you with your plans. I mean, when I arrived in Mumbai I had no idea what I wanted to do in India except see the Taj Mahal and Golden Temple (both of which I have done now). The place I am currently staying is the exiled home of the Dalai Lama and it is absolutely stunning. I probably wouldn't have planned to come here on my own reading a Lonely Plant guide, but after speaking to other travellers here I am, with some other stops along the way I wouldn't necessarily have visited but am glad I did.

It's a bit of a gamble to leave with little to no plan and I was kinda bricking it the last couple of days before I left but I'm really glad I did now. It's one of the best things about travelling alone that you have so much flexibility to do what you want to when you want to, so don't be afraid of leaving without a major plan of what you're going to do when you arrive. Even if you did plan everything out you can guarantee you wouldn't stick to it.

Go for it, I'm sure you won't regret it. I'm not. Any questions please ask.

Incidentally it was this or South America for me but I decided on Asia as I felt it was a bit more safe as a solo traveller. I'm not sure how true that is though.

• Like 1

You lot are absolute legends, you know that?

Been considering it a bit more today, I'm studying for my HNC at the minute which will finish this time next year, I've realised I can get a real big CV boost by putting a foreign qualification on it, so I'm also considering studying abroad too, if feasible.

Your trip sounds fantastic TS, although I like plans and lists so I'm not sure I can be quite so carefree Haha. What has been the biggest culture shock for you so far?

V4E, how old are you if you don't mind me asking? I don't think I tick conventional 'traveller' demographic these days being a 30something, don't know if some of the more popular places would be a little 'hip' for this shoulder jig grandad

Seriously you lot are amazing, VT is amazing, thank you all very much so far

Â