The Optimist's Perspective

villafan306

Great article!

I realise the need for strength in depth for our squad is paramount so signing Harewood is definitely astute for the reasons outlined by Richard. To be honest, though, I won't be all that concerned if depth players are all that we chase from here until the closing of the window. My reason is for the stability of the first XI. Remember the big season where Baros joined the villa? I remember watching that disastrous 4-0 drubbing at the hands of West Ham and thinking "this team (Villa) is a bunch of strangers, to each other!" We had many new faces in the team at the start of that season: Baros, Hughes, Milner, can't remember others but there were others, and the team did not gel at all.

I think there's a lot to be said about stability and the results at the end of last term proved our First XI is a pretty competitive unit in the Prem. Sure we're probably not up to the challenge of winning away at Old Trafford yet, but we're not that far off giving them a serious run at Villa Park, and the Villa XI will be getting more acquainted with each other's styles all the time and playing better more solid football as a team.

I'd be very happy if we were to sign one or two possible first teamers (a RB and a winger) for big money with the concomitant big expectations on their shoulders, and to fill out the rest of the gaps in the squad with average to good professionals for some of that strength in depth that we lacked last season. Too many big name signings is a dangerous game to play. We don't have as much cash to splash as Chelsea did when Roman took the reigns and even when they spent over 100 million pounds or whatever ludicrous amount it was, they still didn't even win the prem their first season, and haven't won a Champs League yet either. Building a solid team foundation and then adding in the missing links with quality signings should be the way forward. Stability in the team is a great attribute. I'm confident MON will make the right choices in the remaining time for this window, I'm just a little concerned that he's left it late to add important First teamers as there's really not much time before the new season kicks off for them to learn their role in the MON's villa and gel with their new teammates.

Would love to see one big name come in this week, but won't be sharpening the razor to slit the wrists if it doesn't happen.

Can someone explain why words like pessimism and optimism are not acceptable but saying people live "happy land of bunnies and blue skies" or are "starstruck" or have "blind faith" is perfectly fine?

Can someone explain why words like pessimism and optimism are not acceptable but saying people live "happy land of bunnies and blue skies" or are "starstruck" or have "blind faith" is perfectly fine?
Yes

Liam has tonight signed for Small Heath.

Is MO'N dismantling our youth policy?

Are we going to struggle to persuade the next Ridgewells and Davis' that they can have a Premiership future with the Villa...?

I was rather hoping for a summer of consolidation and growth but we seem to be shrinking our squad size. Is anyone else concerned?

Is MO'N dismantling our youth policy?

on what basis do you say that? Becuase a defender who didn't look like he was going to be good enough for us looks like he will be leaving? :?

did you see the game last night against Stoke:

on the pitch starters:

Ozzy, Gazza, O'Halloran, Gardner, Moore, Gabby.

came on: Steiber, Lowry

yes, it seems MON is dismantling our youth policy .....

The swine! :winkold:

Â