Venice for dummies ?

smetrov

Mrs Smetrov wants me to take here to venice for her 50th ......

I don't have a clue about the place - any ideas of rough cost of a 3 night break next spring ?

Wheres the main bit to visit - (the equvalent of ramblers in Barcelona ?)

Any agents that do good deals ?

Any tips / hints / avoids welcome.....

If Ramblas is your reference point then I fear for you :P  ....

if you fly budget then the airport transfer requires a bus to the main railway \coach terminal and then a water bus and a walk to your hotel

If you fly BA and co then it's the other airport and you can get a boat transfer straight in to the main canal stations and then walk  ( or speed boat direct to your hotel if you pay extra)

streets are quite narrow for suitcases & crowded with  people in places so travel light , you really don't want  a 30 kg suitcase with 27 different pairs of shoes and what not

I would say the best thing I ever did in Venice was this  ...

I don't mind opera but not a huge fan by any stretch  ... but it was just fantastic , you move about the rooms of the house for each act , you sit next to the orchestra , Figaro will be leaning against you as he sings .. sometimes I think about going to Venice just to see the performance again .... no idea if it's her thing  but it might be a nice 50th treat and you can  follow it up with a nice meal

Doges Palace is the main draw ( no doubt St Marks says Hello )  ... you may need to pre-book but go for the "secret Itinerary"  rather than the standard entry (pay on the day)  .. the secret tour takes you up into the roof and a few extra places worth seeing  .... Bridge of Sighs was covered in advertising last time i went (for shame) but hopefully by now they've taken it away

can take a boat out to some of the other islands , but other than that you just tend to wander around soak up the ambience of the place and chill  , you'll eventually come across the Rialto Bridge , have a beer \ coffee in St Marks square  etc etc

if you have enough time then take a day trip to Florence by train ( 2hrs on express train)

It's a nice place ,

Edited by tonyh29

If Ramblas is your reference point then I fear for you :P  ....

if you fly budget then the airport transfer requires a bus to the main railway \coach terminal and then a water bus and a walk to your hotel

If you fly BA and co then it's the other airport and you can get a boat transfer straight in to the main canal stations and then walk  ( or speed boat direct to your hotel if you pay extra)

streets are quite narrow for suitcases & crowded with  people in places so travel light , you really don't want  a 30 kg suitcase with 27 different pairs of shoes and what not

I would say the best thing I ever did in Venice was this  ...

I don't mind opera but not a huge fan by any stretch  ... but it was just fantastic , you move about the rooms of the house for each act , you sit next to the orchestra , Figaro will be leaning against you as he sings .. sometimes I think about going to Venice just to see the performance again .... no idea if it's her thing  but it might be a nice 50th treat and you can  follow it up with a nice meal

Doges Palace is the main draw ( no doubt St Marks says Hello )  ... you may need to pre-book but go for the "secret Itinerary"  rather than the standard entry (pay on the day)  .. the secret tour takes you up into the roof and a few extra places worth seeing  .... Bridge of Sighs was covered in advertising last time i went (for shame) but hopefully by now they've taken it away

can take a boat out to some of the other islands , but other than that you just tend to wander around soak up the ambience of the place and chill  , you'll eventually come across the Rialto Bridge , have a beer \ coffee in St Marks square  etc etc

if you have enough time then take a day trip to Florence by train ( 2hrs on express train)

It's a nice place ,

Cheers Tony,

I don't understand the ramblers comment ?

I mostly done all inclusive family holidays for the last 10 years - park your arse on a lounger/beer/burger - 2 weeks later return home !

Last year had a mini break to Barca just me and the wife -which I really enjoyed - but was aprehensive before (i live in a city - why visit another ?) ....How wrong I was....

I thought Ramblas was just full of hookers when I walked along it  .. thus possibly not the best place to use as reference point for a romantic holiday with the wife :)

I thought Ramblas was just full of hookers when I walked along it  .. thus possibly not the best place to use as reference point for a romantic holiday with the wife :)

Fair point.........but compared to all inclusives Barca was pretty tranquill !

Venice is EXPENSIVE. If you want to save money on accommodation then stay in the Lido district. Cheapest area to stay in Venice and also has a beach. About a 15 minute boat ride (you have to have a pass to get around anyway so will need a boat pass) to the main sites.

Â