LAN/POE issue between PC and PS4

Ponky

I have recently set up my PS4 with Power over Ethernet and I use it for Netflix and online gaming, because my WiFi range is a bit rubbish.

I run the PoE from the modem into a powerboard in my study, and then from a powerboard to my PS4 in my lounge. It works a treat on my PS4, and it generally gives the same speeds as my Windows 8 PC setup, which is connected to the modem directly via a LAN cable.

However, often when watching Netflix, and occasionally when gaming, my PC's internet connection will drop out and I won't be able to access the internet or access my email. However, wireless networking is not affected, and phones, tablets etc connect to the internet at the same time as the PS4. Restarting my modem won't fix it up - I need to restart the modem AND the PC to get it up and networking again.

The email issue is particularly strange, because it will give a "POP3 not responding" message but then when it finally does it will download the same emails over and over, to the point where I have to log in to webmail and delete them all from there.I'm not sure if the two issues are connected but I assume they are as they both only occur in this context.

At first I thought that there might be some IP conflict between the PC and the PS4 - but I set my PC up with a static IP with the lowest number, but that didn't help. It's almost like the network is dedicating all it's resources to the PS4 at the expense of the PC.

Anything obvious come to mind? I have had a poke on the net but most issues seem to be focused on getting the PS4 networking, not the other way around.

You mean ethernet over power (PLC)

You don't say how the PC is connected to the internet?

Edit - How difficult would it be to run a Cat5e cable from your Study to your Lounge? PLC is notoriously dodgy. At a guess the conflict is between that and your modem/router.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Â