Wildstar

AshVilla

I really want to like it, but I can't bring myself to level up in yet another MMO, I got to about level 15 and just found it insufferable having to grind through levels to get to the bit that I actually want to do at the endgame. Nothing against Wildstar as such, I think it's a fundamental flaw of the genre that the game while leveling is unrecognizable from what you actually spend most time doing once you're at the cap.

I think the endgame does sound very good though. It seems like the devs are unwilling to compromise from the hardcore ideals when it comes to raiding, which I think is fantastic. Warplots sound like one of the most exciting things to be added to an MMO in a long time, too.

How it works, for people who aren't familiar with it, is that as a guild,  you build your own half of a 40 man battlefield, you completely set up the layout of t, you can change the terrain, the structures, and put NPCs in it (including raid bosses! But you have to have beaten the boss to use them in your warplot, and they are a bit weaker than in the raid), then your warplot gets put side by side with a rival guild's, and you fight it out. Unfortunately if you lose your warplot is destroyed and you have to start from scratch. :D

I think it was this one that I was watching on Twitch that looked very similar good ol' Phantasy Star Online. No bad thing. Unless you consider a game released in 2014 looking very similar in terms of gameplay to a game released over 10 years ago a bad thing. Which you might.

Can't say I'm overly impressed with this.

Sure it looks colourful and animated but its just **** boring. It's everything bad about Theme Park MMOs. The telegraph combat doesn't really work well either and ends up making all the classes (which are already pretty dull) feel too similar to one another. Their marketing department have done well to drum up hype but the game itself falls flat for me.

I want a world to explore in an MMO, not a guided levelling treadmill on a film set.

Edited by Sie

Â