Booking travel without a passport

Stevo985

Quick Question chaps!

I'm heading to Majorca in May and Thailand in July, but I've just realised my Passport needs renewing.

It's fine, it'll all be done in time for the trips, but I can't find a straight answer as to whether I can book travel without it.

Can I book flights if I'm awaiting a new passport? Will the passport number change? 

Yes you can book - basically they have a get out saying that at time of travel certain criteria will be needed for your passport (some countries insist on 6 months validity etc). You will need to enter passport details online via carrier website at least 24 hours prior to travel. Note: After the problems in Malaysia I read this morning they may extend that to a few days but again nothing to worry about

I have two passports different numbers etc and have in the past input the wrong number into the system by accident but never had a problem

• Like 1

the passport number will change ...

My Passport didn't have room for the 2 visas I needed for my forthcoming trip  so I've had to send it away   ... I still managed to book 6 flights last week and didn't need a passport number for any of them  ...the only problem I had was when  I tried to book directly with AZAL airlines who did want the passport info so I just switched to a different website and booked it that way  ... I'll go back and fill it in once my new one arrives

Even Iran , hardly the most tourist friendly place , said put your old Passport number on the visa application and we will amend it when we come to issue the visa

BA have my passport info etc but the others I'm travelling to Kiev with in Sept it didn't ask for them at the time of booking and just says "Advanced passenger information required"  on the website when I check the booking .. tbh I think that's only a problem if you try and use internet check in ( i.e you can't if the info isn't supplied) , otherwise you just turn up at the airport and hand your passport over

I think that API is mainly a UK thing, and about to be scrapped according to reports.

I flew to Berlin once on the day that my passport expired, which raised one eyebrow with the guy checking at the gate, but that was about it.

I think that API is mainly a UK thing, and about to be scrapped according to reports.

I flew to Berlin once on the day that my passport expired, which raised one eyebrow with the guy checking at the gate, but that was about it.

roger Moore style?
  • Like 1

Coming back from Lisbon the other week and the passport official in Portugal went mad at me because someone had written a load of numbers inside the front page of my passport ( I think it was my DPRK visa number ) but it certainly wasn't me who did it

She was saying my passport was invalid and it took a Mexican stand off before she finally let me through with her last words to me being that I MUST renew my passport when I get back home

No idea is she was taking crap or not ??

As it turns out I've had to send it away for renewal anyway so guess I'll never know

Passports should not have anything written on them other than on the "blank" pages - the nice young lady in Lisbon was correct ! :-)

:)

it wasn't me that did it though it was one of her fellow professionals  :)

I've got a few of those tourist stamps in my passport as well ..one from the grand Canyon , one from Galapagos Isles  .. I always wondered if they were legit as well  but nobody has ever commented on them ..other than the guy at Miami airport who said " Cool stamp " and asked me all about the Galp Isles for about 10 minutes much to the annoyance of everyone in the queue

I've a feeling though that technically you are tampering with your passport by putting them in 

The gold coat of arms and stuff on the front of my passport has long since worn away. No problem, as turning to the first page tells the enquirer exactly what it is in multiple languages.

Arriving in Sao Paulo last year the lady at the border needed to call a supervisor to ask what nationality I was!

The gold coat of arms and stuff on the front of my passport has long since worn away. No problem, as turning to the first page tells the enquirer exactly what it is in multiple languages.

Arriving in Sao Paulo last year the lady at the border needed to call a supervisor to ask what nationality I was!

same here with my main passport there is no sign of the gold 'badge' at all. It's looking somewhat weather worn now

I always find an aloof attitude and talk of fuzzy wuzzies shows those pesky foreigners that I am British :-)

same here with my main passport there is no sign of the gold 'badge' at all. It's looking somewhat weather worn now

I always find an aloof attitude and talk of fuzzy wuzzies shows those pesky foreigners that I am British :-)

I thought the hanky on your head gave it away anyway :)
  • Like 1

Â