Monitoring a wifi network

CVByrne

Is there a tool I can use from my computer that lets me see which device on my wifi network is hogging all the bandwidth? Sometimes my wifi goes really slow and I want to see which device it is that's eating up the bandwidth.

Is there a tool I can use from my computer that lets me see which device on my wifi network is hogging all the bandwidth? Sometimes my wifi goes really slow and I want to see which device it is that's eating up the bandwidth.

This is something that your router would need to do. Is there nothing on the management web pages for it?

It's much more likely to be interference. Microwaves are a particular pain for this. Stick Wifi Analyzer on your phone and change to a less used channel too.

It's in my apartment, it's a company owned one and I'm here with to colleagues. I checked the network and one of them had his laptop and iPad connected. His room is below the router. I'm at the other end of the apartment.

I want to see if he's streaming or torrenting and that's why my Web is crippled. If not then we'll inform our company and have the connection improved. We're in central London. Broadband should be fast.

Nope, I'll test it out so. I was mainly talking about a windows application to test the network when it's crippling slow to see if someone is hogging all bandwidth

You'd need to make your windows machine promiscuous to do that. Piece of piss on Linux, but painful on Windows. Even then, if your router operates it's wifi in "station isolation" mode you won't be able to do it at all.

Next time it's slow, you could try wiring into the router and see if it's still slow.

As I said, I suspect interference is more of a problem than a user. It sounds like you've already decided it's one of the other users, so why not just ask them?

I lived in a house share until a few months ago, 10 of us sharing an internet connection. Would have been hell if we hadn't have had a supergeek living in the house. He set up the internet so if someone screwed the bandwidth with torrent downloads then it cut them off for an hour, so you could only download torrents at night (when the rule was liften).

Worked really well for us; a house of 10 people sharing one decent-but-not-amazing connection and I never had any problems at all. Not entirely sure how it was set up, but as far as I know it was just done in the router settings.

• Like 1

Â