Oktoberfest or brugge beer festival?

Jimzk5

anyone ever been? looking to going to either one next year just wondering what i can expect to pay for a decent b&b and how much cash id get through in a long weekend?

only advantage i can see with brugge is its easy to get the eurostar there and back but from what i can gather on the net the whole thing only lasts 2 days, whereas munich beer fest lasts 16 days

opinions wanted please

i wouldn't get lashed, last thing i want is to wake up in a shopping trolly under a bridge with jam round my mouth in foreign country. not again anyway.

id rather go to munich, but have been told that its expensive at the best of times let alone at the beer festival time of year

The Oktoberfest is a tremendous experience but not cheap. A litre of beer will cost €9.50 this year and you'll usually give 10 and tell the waiter to keep the change, so that's something like £7.85 for less than 2 pints (though the beer's quite strong). Accommodation is expensive at that time of year. I've got quite a good deal for a single room but it's €100 a night including breakfast. Hostel-type accommodation is obviously cheaper if you can get in. Weekends are best avoided. On Saturday and Sunday you need to start queueing well before the tents open at 11am to get an unreserved table. A large number of tables are reserved from 4pm and you can sit there until then, but then they throw you out. My advice would be to travel out on Sunday and go to the festival on Monday and Tuesday, when it's far less crowded. It's a great experience, though, despite the expense.

Been a few times to the Oktoberfest - we had / have an office there and often held team meetings towards the end of September conveniently.

Its really a great time and you will not fail to get v drunk. The locals are pretty good and will have a laugh. Remember to get into one of the big tents at the showground you will need a ticket and don't be late as you will lose your place on the tables etc.

The taxis and the underground are used to dealing with tourists who have had a few too many and are pretty good at taking you where you want to. There are some decent hotels just a few miles away from the park where it is held, obviously those closer are expensive then. Try the holiday Inn's etc they usually have a good deal on during it.

Munich itself away from the beer has enough to see and get around to make it a good trip

Â