refreshing honesty, even if totally unintentional

mockingbird_franklin

Hi,

Just though I'd share a little something with you, like most people I recently received my annual water bill and as usual wasn't surprised to see yet another annual price increase well above the rate of inflation, and thinking it's not as bad as previous years and only 2-3% above inflation, isn't it amazing how we've been worn down into thinking that a 6-8% price increase is a good result.

Anyhow, my wife took it upon herself to phone and arrange to pay it by direct debit, and during her conversation the woman she spoke to actually said "My, your bill is very expensive Isn't It". Now my wife being a bit more reserved than myself failed to make comment on this revelation, me, I would have probably made comment about it possibly being so high due to the 100%+ increase in charges over the last 8-10 years that have been imposed by the water company.

Anyhow rather than it being a case of a sudden policy of honesty being introduced by the water Co, it turns out it was just an attempt to get us to agree to have a water meter fitted, which actually based on the cost of the water supplied would be a good idea, however when you then see they charge you almost the same amount to then take that water away as they did to supply it, and impose a standing charges amounting to nearly 100 quid before you use a single drop, turns out we would probably be worse off than our already very expensive water rates based on an estimated consumption.

My calculations on consumption were based on my average consumption which was metered while I was in Australia and which fell well below the recommended 155 litres per person per day, and which cost me about half what i would have to pay here on a meter.

Anyhow I digress, does anybody else have tales of unintentional honesty?

I digress as well, why is water so expensive where you live?! Don't utilities fall under the purview of the government, like the NHS? If so, you'd expect the bureaucrats to keep the increases in utility costs in check.

Same here in Singapore btw, utility costs are increasing pretty rapidly.

I digress as well, why is water so expensive where you live?! Don't utilities fall under the purview of the government, like the NHS? If so, you'd expect the bureaucrats to keep the increases in utility costs in check.

Same here in Singapore btw, utility costs are increasing pretty rapidly.

If the Government looked after the water the upper classes would have Perrier water tapped into their homes while us poor people would get to hand pump our own muddy disease ridden water.

Huh?

The current Tory government here only looks out for the rich, also they are trying to take the NHS apart at the moment and will not listen to the advice of any medical institutions that oppose their plans.

I'm lost by your story. Who is being honest? It was sales technique right? Hardly refreshing or unusual.

I guess my slant is it was indeed very honest to say that the bill was very expensive, as it is, which is refreshing of them to admit, even if the statement wasn't made as a sudden willingness to own up to the fact that in this country we pay very high rates for our water, so hence unintentional. maybe it's only me that sees the lack of thought that would go into a company telling it's customers that the bill they have just received from them is "very expensive" as though there is no responsibility on there part for the level of the charge.

just out of curiosity and to check my memory isn't off I just checked my old bills and my water rates are very nearly double that of 2006's

Huh?

The current Tory government here only looks out for the rich, also they are trying to take the NHS apart at the moment and will not listen to the advice of any medical institutions that oppose their plans.

Don't they always.

Â