Australia

villan83

I spent a year travelling in Australia and visiting sporting events it was a brilliant year. If you are into horse racing then there is only one answer to your question, you have to be in Melbourne at the start of November for the Gold Cup. Its like the Grand National in terms of stature but the whole place is just a massive party and good racing as well.

I am looking at spending some time is Oz somewhere down the line.

Are those year long working and travel visas any good?

Hoping to maybe travel round doing all that throught picking malarky then settle for a few months in a city.

Do they usually have temp jobs going for people that do this?

I had a 12 month work visa although I didn't really work while there but it allowed me to travel and do a bit of work along the way. In short best year of my life and if you can do it I would highly recommend it.

It was 10 years ago I was there so not sure my views on the availability of work are all that valid but I had no problems when I was there I had all kind of jobs. At a lot of the bigger hostels they have local workmen who turn up in the morning looking for labourers and pay cash in hand.

You can apply for a working holiday visa if you are aged between 18 and 30, you can work for up to 6 months out of the 12 but no longer than 3 months with one employer. You can do all sorts of jobs like fruit picking, bar work and admin. And when your not working you can travel around and do what you want. You need to be able to proove that you have enough funds in your bank to support yourself when you arrive (about £2500, basically that means if it doesn't work out you can afford to get home). I'd say it is deffonatly worth it if you have no ties in the U.K.

I havn't done this yet, I am going to Austailia this year though on a Working Holiday Visa. I have done so much research on it and spoke to people who have done this before.

It is realistic to work and live off the money you make, or you could work hard for a few months, maybe take on two jobs, save up the money and then travel around and live it up that way. I guess it depends how good you are with your money aswell. There are temp jobs out there, you can basically do any job you want. Admin jobs pay good money but harvest work is more hours (working 12 hour days and more).

I'm sorry i did get it wrong on my post further up, you can work a maximum of 6 months with one employer and work as many months as you want out of the 12. If you do 3 months harvest work you can apply to stay for another 12 months. Hope this helps.

The OP asked about horse racing but I don't know about that sorry.

Â