USA Flydrive

tonyh29

Toying with the idea of the USA for next years epic adventure ( We fancy something that doesn't involve 20 flights in 15 days this year :-) )

I fancy Vegas , Cape Canaveral , Hoover Dam and my mate would like to goto Gettysburg .. I am aware that they are not exactly next door to each other so we will be picking and choosing accordingly but

Any must see places that people want to nominate that I should plan to to see

Vegas to Cape Canaveral is a 39 hour drive.

Cape Canaveral to Gettysburg is a 16 hour drive.

Not exactly next door only begins to describe the distance.

That said, there's a fair amount of notable places you can visit along the way... New Orleans is a must, and I'd probably go through Amarillo for a 72-ounce steak (if you can manage to eat it along with a buttered bread roll, baked potato, beans, shrimp cocktail and salad in one hour, the whole meal is free, but if you can't, then it's $72). The Alamo is a bit out of the way, as is Roswell and the Trinity site.

san francisco and seattle are must-visits if you're on the west coast. you can drive a route from vegas to san fran that takes you through Death Valley (the lowest area of continental US (i think)) and then past California's highest mountains. Pretty cool.

Vegas to Cape Canaveral is a 39 hour drive.

Cape Canaveral to Gettysburg is a 16 hour drive.

Some form of fast car is required then :-)

Thought we might have to do a few flights on some legs if we wanted to go that far , are there air passes and the like that allow you to do numerous flights on the cheap ? Or are internal flights expensive in the US ?

72 oz steak looks tempting , have managed a 32oz a few times and that was pretty tough !!

Not to sure what your paying for flights in England but when I was in the US flights were super cheap by comparison to Canadian airfare. Is possible to get last minute flights dirt cheap in the US as well. Chicago is a city id be heading to if I was you but thats even more out of the way from the areas youve mentioned! If you end up in Minnesota though youll be knocking on my doorstep ;)

I'll defer to the experts at FIFA:

In general, the [uSA's] Host Cities have a well-developed transport infrastructure and experience in managing traffic and crowd flows for events and sports contests. However, the country’s vastness and geographic location imply a dependence on air travel in view of the lack of alternative means of long-distance transport within the country. Nevertheless, the capacity of the airports and the competitiveness of the aviation market in the USA would assure reliable air transfer. Temporary transport would have to be arranged to and from the majority of the proposed stadiums during the event.

So FIFA says domestic air travel is cheap.

Southwest more or less created the low-cost airline industry (decades before the US or EU deregulated... Southwest took advantage of the US's fare regulations only covering interstate flights to offer flights within Texas at low fares), and unlike RyanAir and the full-price airlines doesn't nickel-and-dime on fees.

Â