TRAVEL

Spl1304

• 2 weeks later...

Football Ground Guide - Sunderland pubs

There are bars inside the ground, however they get really crowded. I would recommend the William Jameson (Wetherspoons pub) in the centre of town for a drink before or after the game, as it has a great atmosphere. Whilst Jason Adderley a visiting West Brom fan adds; ''The Albion pub, on Victor Street, off Roker Avenue, is a five minute walk from the ground, with some parking nearby. I've used this pub the last three times I've visited Sunderland with West Brom. Always friendly and the landlord even puts on complimentary snacks after the game. Otherwise there is a chippy a couple of doors away. An all round top boozer'. Stephen Lundell informs me; There are also another couple of bars worth mentioning, both a five minute walk away form the stadium, on the road approaching the Wearmouth bridge on the North (Stadium Side) of the river. There are two social clubs - The Sunderland Companions club, and the New Democratic Club, which both get very busy, and will offer a warm welcome to away supporters, and serve cheap beer'.

If you have a bit of time of your hands, then you may like to try the Harbour View on the sea front, which is around a 15-20 minute walk away. Simply go along Roker Avenue (opposite the main entrance to the stadium) until you reach the seafront. Turn left along the front and you will see the pub up on the left. The pub which has previously been listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide, serves good beer, reasonably priced food (with its own matchday menu) and has a large screen television. As the name of the pub suggests you get some good views along the coast from its location.

I might give those social clubs with "cheap beer" a try, although my coach is stopping off in Middlesbrough en route for a pub break.

Football Ground Guide - Sunderland pubs

There are bars inside the ground, however they get really crowded. I would recommend the William Jameson (Wetherspoons pub) in the centre of town for a drink before or after the game, as it has a great atmosphere. Whilst Jason Adderley a visiting West Brom fan adds; ''The Albion pub, on Victor Street, off Roker Avenue, is a five minute walk from the ground, with some parking nearby. I've used this pub the last three times I've visited Sunderland with West Brom. Always friendly and the landlord even puts on complimentary snacks after the game. Otherwise there is a chippy a couple of doors away. An all round top boozer'. Stephen Lundell informs me; There are also another couple of bars worth mentioning, both a five minute walk away form the stadium, on the road approaching the Wearmouth bridge on the North (Stadium Side) of the river. There are two social clubs - The Sunderland Companions club, and the New Democratic Club, which both get very busy, and will offer a warm welcome to away supporters, and serve cheap beer'.

If you have a bit of time of your hands, then you may like to try the Harbour View on the sea front, which is around a 15-20 minute walk away. Simply go along Roker Avenue (opposite the main entrance to the stadium) until you reach the seafront. Turn left along the front and you will see the pub up on the left. The pub which has previously been listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide, serves good beer, reasonably priced food (with its own matchday menu) and has a large screen television. As the name of the pub suggests you get some good views along the coast from its location.

I might give those social clubs with "cheap beer" a try, although my coach is stopping off in Middlesbrough en route for a pub break.

thanks

Â