Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

Any actual news on the takeovah?

There's a section in The Times today regarding the takeover. It mentions a conman named Paul Garland who is due to be sentenced to prison and suggests he had an involvement with the Villa takeover.

I was about to say I can't be bothered to type it up but have just found it:

"The Insider - January 19

By Ashling O'Connor

EVERYONE from Irish property developers to fake sheikhs seem to think that they could buy Aston Villa, but as weary supporters await the next instalment in the perennial takeover saga, the man behind at least one fantastical story related to the Midlands club is braced for his final chapter.

Paul Garland, a conman who posed as a football agent with links to a host of Barclays Premiership clubs, is due to be sentenced next week at York Crown Court after confessing to an elaborate ruse that left his unfortunate neighbours £160,000 out of pocket. The 39-year-old faces lengthy jail time after pleading guilty to 11 counts of deception, culminating in him persuading Brian and Phillipa Manley to put their life savings into his bogus sports investment company.

Garland, who used the money to fund a flash lifestyle, was involved in an unsuccessful US-backed takeover of Leeds United by Nova Financial Partners before Ken Bates eventually bought the club. A former bankrupt, he also claimed to act for Ray Ranson, the former Manchester City defender, who has twice tried to buy Villa but whose best offer of £47 million was rejected last summer by Doug Ellis, the club’s chairman and majority shareholder.

However, Ranson, an experienced financier, is understood to have been represented by an investment banker.

Garland’s involvement in the latest Villa takeover bid raised questions about the deal. He is said to have introduced Michael Neville, a local businessman and supporter, to Brian and Luke Comer, two Irish brothers, to form a consortium considering a £64 million takeover. Villa’s financial advisers have yet to receive any formal offer."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22669-1995792,00.html

So, is this the reason for the delay in proceedings?

Also, does anyone know how long ago it was since Mike Neville said "it will be 2 weeks until we hear something more"?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no missing 1000's - I have got to know lots of Villa Fans over my lifetime - whilst some moan about the footy like they always do, I have yet to meet ANYONE that has stated that the reason they don't go is down purely to Doug Ellis. (Present company accepted). I hope there are 1000's that will come back, but as we are a "fickle lot" according to some, I would say that they pick and chose anyway.

Guys, great discussion here, and I'm pleased to see it hasn't got personal. That's why I come to VT.

Anyway, my point of contention on the "missing thousands" is that maybe people don't directly say "it's because of Ellis", but ultimately it is. I remember the last 4 or 5 games of the 92/3 season (that long ago!) under Ron and there was hardly room to breathe, and this against teams like Oldham and Man City.

Inadvertently it IS because of Ellis. It's because under Ellis there's no hope, and if there's no hope, there's no point. When he goes people WILL return. Because their hope will have returned too.

NV, Football is a religion amongst the masses. There are those I don't doubt that stay away because of their anger for one man. There may be quite a few of them, but 1000's, I don't know.

Believe me I would love to be proved wrong. But I would still go down there if we were relegated next year. Doesn't mean that I hate Ellis any less than the next man, or conversely love the Villa anymore than the next man. Villa are my life blood.

Next season I am contemplating not having a season ticket for the first time in 14 years. A change in circumstances and other commitments, plus going to the World Cup, mean that it may no longer be viable. I will however, have to fullfil my addiction and make as many games as possible. I deny myself due to Doug Ellis - he can't and won't break me.

The missing 1000's again isn't a black and white. Now I know a lot of people who no longer have a season ticket for various reasons including if the company (and yes it is a company) dont spend money then why should I invest. Lee I can give you names and phone numbers if you like.

I suspect that the apathy (seems to be wrod of the day) shown by the fans for attendance is as a result of the apathy shown by the club with its thinking and the way its run. That doesnt stop your love, for want of a better word, for AVFC nor can it stop the excellent memories that the club has given over the years. But a fan base and going back to business, your customer base is something that you have to work on at all times. That includes short term and long term planning. Its not just about lowering prices of tickets, which Villa are good at to be fair, its about marketing a product that will appeal. There are a million and 1 different ways we can spend our monies these days and even things like SKY will pull on potential attendance figures. Villa seem to have no idea on how we react to these challenges.

The business model is poor IMO, hence the lack of monies now being available for the manager after many years of premiership football and the TV monies. That is why the club needs the structural changes that people (VFC?) have called for for so long

No one disputes that Drat - but although footy is more of a business these days, things are diffirent due to the "customer" base, being supporters and not simply people that walk in off the high street.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, our biggest attendance of the season by far was against Liverpool.

This game was very soon after the takeover story broke.

I suspect this is because people thought Doug might be going/gone for this game.

The missing thousands coming back maybe?

Or maybe we are playing the European Champions and the game was not a sellout - hence the Scouse following Felchers from the Midlands got tickets.

I'm not criticising those who are sincere in saying the one reason they stay away from VP is Doug Ellis. Its their choice afterall.

What I am criticising is the fact they believe that staying away will have any impact whatsoever on the boardroom.

Attendances are down this season no question. However, Doug's response will be to simply blame our league position and fire the manager at the end of the season.

As someone far more eloquent than I once said, when Doug goes, the missing thousands will merely think of another convenient excuse to stay away.

We hope they don't, but I'm prety sure that the last paragraph is spot on. There will be some no doubt that do come back - I would say that some of them will be those that decided to stay away due to the poor football at times, which has been on and off since the late Gregory Era. They may come back if there was a "Big Ron" type revolution. BBUt even under him, and the football that we played then - we never totally sold out at every game. No one at that time was constantly campaigning against the Chairman - some of us had distaste for him then, but things were going well.

The demise is under his stewardship - things aren't right, but 1000's - I can't see it.

You have to wonder what Jack Petchey will do.

If the Comer brothers pull out it is unlikely that something will happen in the near future.

Our half yearly reports are due very shortly and people arent expecting them to show much that is positive.

As time passes the value of his shares will diminish, the offer of £5.60 or whatever is unlikely to beaten, and I suspect any offers in the future to be sub £5.00.

If I was him Id want the cash out as quick as possible.

If he did sell the pressure would be back on Ellies big style.

I'm not criticising those who are sincere in saying the one reason they stay away from VP is Doug Ellis. Its their choice afterall.

What I am criticising is the fact they believe that staying away will have any impact whatsoever on the boardroom.

Attendances are down this season no question. However, Doug's response will be to simply blame our league position and fire the manager at the end of the season.

As someone far more eloquent than I once said, when Doug goes, the missing thousands will merely think of another convenient excuse to stay away.

If there are people like that then fair enough. But that aint me.

I'm a season ticket and shareholder and I have been lied to for long enough and I guarentee you all that if that senile old ba$tard is still in charge next I WILL NOT renew my season ticket - I will not fill his pockets anymore and I work with a season ticket holder and he is seriously thinking about the same after 33 years and that is for the same reason - DOUG ELLIS!

As soon as he goes I will be back and I will look forward to it too.

I hate, loathe and detest the way one man has made me feel about the club I have loved for 26 years - BA$TARD!

As a shareholder you have the right to do so. Minority shareholders rights are embodied in English Law (Companies Acts).

You could request an EGM.

You could put in a Derivative Claim.

You could put in a Personal Claim.

However, you will loose the case and be made bankrupt.

Why can't someone give us an update FFS?

Are you a Villa shareholder?

If the answer is 'yes' then you have recompense to the courts to air your grievances as a minority shareholder.

If the answer is 'no' then, you're stuffed

No, but my dad is. Can i moan at Ellis on his behalf? :)

I think it needs 10% of the shareholding to force an EGM

If the Villa is as badly run as people would have you believe on this forum, it'll be a doddle getting that 10% surely?

Not when Ellis+family and hangers on + Petchey must hold 60%. 10% are apparently missing,

Another 20% are apathetic or not interested therefore it ain;t that easy.

There is then the cost of writing to all of them..... and I think the club will charge for the list as well.

Remember there are many shareholders like us with between 10and 500 shares that don;t use the interweb.