The trolley problem...

paddy

What would you do?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Leave it, letting the five people die
    • Flip the switch, killing the one

Easy, flick the switch, people thinking there would be a lack of guilt for doing nothing but allowing more to die are wrong. It is not enough to do nothing, to simply allow 5 people to die because you did nothing when you could have done something is also wrong so you have to go with the best net result i.e. only one death

Has anyone suggested jumping into the trolley and pretending you're a medieval jouster yet?

On Bickster's point above...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke

...but then again, I'm pretty sure that's what Dhalshim said to Jean Claude Van Damme in the Street Fighter movie so the credibility of applying that philosophy is sketchy at best.

people thinking there would be a lack of guilt for doing nothing but allowing more to die are wrong

That only takes into account the guilt of the person who is given the choice to flick the switch, though.

What about the potential guilt felt by the saved?

There are too many utilitarians in the world for them to be of net benefit. :P

people thinking there would be a lack of guilt for doing nothing but allowing more to die are wrong

That only takes into account the guilt of the person who is given the choice to flick the switch, though.

What about the potential guilt felt by the saved?

There are too many utilitarians in the world for them to be of net benefit. :P

Yes but I don't care about them, I only care about me :P :P

Â