Amoxcillin

MMFy

Would you drink while taking Amoxcillin?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you drink while taking Amoxcillin?

• Yes
    • No

Doctor,

I have been on a course of Amoxcillin since Monday. I'm almost over the Bronchitis I had, and close to the end of the course, which I will still finish.

A friend of mine says it is OK to drink while taking Amoxcillin. He usually gets pissed while taking the stuff.

I am considering going out for a couple of pints (only a couple, not a session) as I feel well again. Is this advisable?

What would you do?

No. I had Glandular Fever and was prescribed amoxicillin and I was foolish enough to go out and drink whilst I was still on prescription and threw up within a couple of drinks and had to come home. Of course it depends on how serious your condition is or how long you were prescribed for but I'd stay away from it just incase. Unless you don't mind projectile vomiting, of course.

It won't actually interact with the alcohol in any way, but alcohol activates an enzyme system in your liver called cytochrome P450. This increases the break down of amoxicillin and clarythromycin and therefore makes them less effective, which is why you're advised not to drink.

No. I had Glandular Fever and was prescribed amoxicillin and I was foolish enough to go out and drink whilst I was still on prescription and threw up within a couple of drinks and had to come home. Of course it depends on how serious your condition is or how long you were prescribed for but I'd stay away from it just incase. Unless you don't mind projectile vomiting, of course.

did you drink while you werent prescribed drugs?

For some people it causes nausea and chucking.

It also reduces (to varying degrees) the effectiveness of the drug itself.

Always drank when I'm on antibiotics - but look how I turned out.

Â