Linux help

PussEKatt

I dropped my portable HDD and I cant get it to work anymore,I would like to try to get some files off it if possible.

I downloaded 2 Linux live disks ( Puppy and Koppex ) I mounted the the Koppex disk but nothing happens.How do I get it to boot ? As I said I have Puppy Linux as well ( Slacko ) but apparently Koppex is more suited to fix my problem,so I would rather get that one up and running.

"Virtual Clone Drive" is a virtual CD/DVD drive.There are various ones around,eg: Daemon tools,Magic ISO,Power ISO etc etc.What they do is they are able to mount a virtual ISO,and it is like mounting a real disk in your optical drive.This method is quicker and saves wear and tear on your CD/DVDs.

You can save your most used Virtual ISO images on your hard drive and keep your valuable cd/DVDs somewhere else.   

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

"Virtual Clone Drive" is a virtual CD/DVD drive.There are various ones around,eg: Daemon tools,Magic ISO,Power ISO etc etc.What they do is they are able to mount a virtual ISO,and it is like mounting a real disk in your optical drive.This method is quicker and saves wear and tear on your CD/DVDs.

You can save your most used Virtual ISO images on your hard drive and keep your valuable cd/DVDs somewhere else.   

But you need to boot Live CDs, not just mount them.

urgh... live CDs, do it via USB for your sanity.

Load the CD and use whatever ripping software you have to do a vertbatim copy to a USB and boot from that. Else, re-download to a usb.

Buy 2 drives next time, one nice drive to impress the girls/boys and one old/slower as a monthly backup.

Thanks guys. I am not sure if I will burn Koppex to a disk or a USB,but either way Ill get Koppex up and running and see if I can salvage anything from my broken HDD.

@limpid.You could download Daemon tools lite.Its free and can handle up to 4 virtual optical drives,saves a lot of wear and tear on your bought media.It should run under WINE  

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Thanks guys. I am not sure if I will burn Koppex to a disk or a USB,but either way Ill get Koppex up and running and see if I can salvage anything from my broken HDD.

@limpid.You could download Daemon tools lite.Its free and can handle up to 4 virtual optical drives,saves a lot of wear and tear on your bought media.It should run under WINE  

I don;t use media.

Â