Amazon Gift cards - Debit Card only ??

hippo

Been trying to purchase an amazon gift card all week - it didn't let me confirm the order - after a week of tooing and frowing with amazon support - clearing the cache, trying a different browser , 'it being looked into .....along comes the reply

"Due to economic safety and government regulations gift cards can only be purchased by debit card not credit card"

Anyone else heard of this ? - think its just an excuse as I have definitely purchased by credit card before.... 

Just now, hippo said:

Been trying to purchase an amazon gift card all week - it didn't let me confirm the order - after a week of tooing and frowing with amazon support - clearing the cache, trying a different browser , 'it being looked into .....along comes the reply

"Due to economic safety and government regulations gift cards can only be purchased by debit card not credit card"

Anyone else heard of this ? - think its just an excuse as I have definitely purchased by credit card before.... 

People use stolen credit cards to buy the vouchers, it's a way of turning imaginary money into goods that can be purchased later, after the card issuer has blocked the card itself.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

People use stolen credit cards to buy the vouchers, it's a way of turning imaginary money into goods that can be purchased later, after the card issuer has blocked the card itself.

Just checked the amazon web site terms and conditions on purchasing gift cards:-

"amazon.co.uk Gift Cards and Gift Vouchers can't be used to purchase other gift cards and gift vouchers or applied to any order containing another gift card or gift voucher. You'll need to provide a credit card, debit card, or other valid payment method to pay for the order" 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201486910

Seems to me they can't be bothered to fix the problem and are just making stuff up.

Â