Camcorders

This Could Be Rotterdam

Im looking to get a decent camcorder for our wedding next year. My brother will be filming the key parts and doing a few question and answer type things. Does anyone have any recommendations? Not looking to spend too much as we'll more than likely never use it again but do want one that will give us a good quality video for the day. Happy to search on ebay for second hand but dont know where to start with decent quality. 

If you have no interest in ever using it again, I'd spend the same amount on hiring a bloody good one, rather than buying a cheap one.

If you're in brum, I've hired one from Media Dog. They seem to have pretty fair prices, and a huge range. They have loads of ultra expensive high end ones that cost hundreds per day that are front and centre so don't be scared off by the prices, there are some cheaper ones that are 40-50 quid that'll be more than good enough for your needs, and a damn load better than anything you'll buy in that range.

Any decent hire shop will talk through what you need and let you have a bit of a demo with suitable models to make sure you're happy with it.

You'd be better off using a smartphone than buying a super cheap one on ebay.

Edit: Oh, and definitely spend a few extra quid hiring a tripod if you've got a novice using it, or it'll look like it's being filmed by a bloke on a bouncy castle who'd had a couple of pints too many.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

If you have no interest in ever using it again, I'd spend the same amount on hiring a bloody good one, rather than buying a cheap one.

If you're in brum, I've hired one from Media Dog. They seem to have pretty fair prices, and a huge range. They have loads of ultra expensive high end ones that cost hundreds per day that are front and centre so don't be scared off by the prices, there are some cheaper ones that are 40-50 quid that'll be more than good enough for your needs, and a damn load better than anything you'll buy in that range.

Any decent hire shop will talk through what you need and let you have a bit of a demo with suitable models to make sure you're happy with it.

You'd be better off using a smartphone than buying a super cheap one on ebay.

Edit: Oh, and definitely spend a few extra quid hiring a tripod if you've got a novice using it, or it'll look like it's being filmed by a bloke on a bouncy castle who'd had a couple of pints too many.

The only problem with hiring is its abroad so we'll need it for two weeks at least. 

Good thinking on the tripod! 

I hire camera stuff abroad. Rental rates vary massively. Japan for example is really expensive, but most other countries aren't nearly as dear. Where's the wedding?

DSLRs are another option. X Factor use them for the regional heats that are broadcast with an additional microphone.

Agree with Davkaus, some sort of mount is essential, so aye get a tripod, especially if you want to track the action. If you could get away with a completely locked off (fixed) camera position? We use Manfrotto magic arms.

IJR80EE.jpg?1

Clamp on one end, camera mount on the other. They're pretty cool, but a heavy camera will need two.

Last option, perhaps the easiest and a really, really cool toy - An Osmo camera.

Did anyone see the Villa match that someone managed to stream from the director's box last season?

I was at a loss at how it was done, the vertical lock was amazing, I wondered how someone had managed to set up a tripod without being noticed?

That following week a journo demo'd their department's new Osmo and it all became clear.

Â