Langkawi or Philippines or Other?

Djemba_Villan

So, long story short, I'm going to visit Perth (Aus) with my dad to visit his brother. I've done a fair amount of travelling over the past couple of years so thought it would make a nice change to organise something with the ol'man. We're away for 3 weeks setting off Boxing day and are flying LON-HKG....stay 3 nights......HKG-PER......stay 6-7 nights.....PER-<Gap>......KUL-LON home.

It's the "gap" bit I need help on. So the return flight I got from KUL for price reasons and because I thought "theres loads of places I want to go around there, I'll be spoiled for choice"

• One idea I had was Bali (as Perth-Bali is cheap)...but weather wise it looks pretty rubbish in Early Jan, same goes for east coast Malaysia.
  • Langkawi is on my list of places i've been recommended but I've read many mixed reviews
  • Philippines look stunning! however...is 6-7 days enough to really see anything?
  • Looked into Burma....definitely not enough time
  • Thailand - Seen and done Ko Samui/Phangan/Phi-Phi, Chang Mai and Bangkok on previous trips...same goes for Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos, East Coast Oz (Though I wouldn't mind going back) and NZ. I want to go to at least 1 new country this trip.

There are so many cheap airlines based in SIN/KUL so theres plenty of options. The old man is quite adventurous so i'm not looking for a resort-type place, but somewhere interesting - possibly off beaten track would be ideal. 

Can anyone else offer me any inspiration for this missing leg? Timing wise, We arrive Perth in time for New Years Eve and don't really intend to stay THAT long there. Earliest we could realistically leave would be 5th/6th/7th Jan...leaving 10 days ish. The only other constraint is that I must have ~2 nights in Singapore as it's a place he's always wanted to see.

Thanks for any help whatsoever!

Edited by Djemba_Villan

Obviously I don't know what you and your dad like doing but here's my two pennies worth ..

Bali itself is a bit meh  , yeah it's got beaches and stuff but there are far better beaches to go and see ,  you can explore the Island of course and visit temples and hike a bit if that is your thing   .... however Bali does give you the opportunity to visit Komodo and see Komodo Dragons  , assuming the boats run all year  and that will kill about 3 to 4 days ... you sleep on a mattress on the floor in a small boat in the middle of the sea so a lot could depend on how old your dad is  of course ... I have to say that I'm a terrible sleeper usually and yet my 2 nights on the floor on a boat were probably the best 2 nights sleep I've ever had !!

I think this was the itinerary I did

Langkawi  - I've not been so can't offer anything , I thought mainly it was just nice spa hotels though ?  , If you want that sort of thing then slightly less busy than Langkawi  , you could investigate Pangkor Laut which is an Island resort that I went to , bit of a car journey and a boat trip to get to but it was a really nice place .

Philippines -  Manila has Corregidor Island if you are into your history  and of course you can watch your dad get off with a 19 year old in one of the countless bars  :)  but for something different have a look at Donsol , you can swim with Whale sharks there , though it can get quite busy from what I hear

Burma - we did a few days in Yangon and had a whale of a time , mainly as it has a great party scene going on  ... Yangon will keep you busy for a couple of days though if you explore the temples and surrounds  but to fully explore it you need to go see the Hill stations and Mandalay ... Think you can only get in via India and BKK ... It was hard to get in when I went , even with a visa they would often turn people away  on arrival , but I think now it's straight forward but best to check

I went to Oz via a one day stop over in Brunei  , its a very good cheap connection , but be warned the planes are alcohol free ...Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bandar Seri Begawan is quite small maybe 1/2 a day but if you go out and explore you can easily get into Borneo and go see the wildlife stuff

Lastly , maybe consider Sri Lanka , you'll easily fill xx  days there and it has a lot to offer , wildlife , sights , hiking , I was really impressed with the place and I'd go back there quite happily  .. you can get direct flights there from KL and Singapore so you can easily get in and out and fit the rest of your schedule

feel free to PM me if you want any specific info  though

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Tony. In the end the dates worked out such that i've had to write off the more exotic part of the trip which I was asking about.

Now we have out 10 days in Western Australia (8 when taking away NYE) so I'm trying to decide whether to go south of Perth or north towards Coral Bay. I'll keep your advice I'm mind for later in the year when i'll no doubt be looking at another trip.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I am actually thinking of doing a week in Phillipines next year along with Thailand. Is it worth going?

Angeles City is the place you are probably looking for ;)

seems they've modified their website but the Angeles City beach hotel , used to show their suite room as coming complete with 2 girls as part of the room rate  .. ( they do still offer rooms with a stripper pole though :) )

Air Cebu fly direct to Angeles city from BKK  and very cheap  ( my mate who lives in BKK makes this journey quite frequently :) )

Edited by tonyh29

Â