Valkyria Chronicles

hogso

landscape-1447808061-valkyria-chronicles

It's coming to PS4, and better still, a new game is coming to PS4 also, entitled Valkyria: Azure Revolution. Although the article I've read today refers to Chronicles as a remake, I'm not convinced, it may just be a port/remaster like the one that came to Steam years after the original on PS3.

For the unitiated, Valkryia Chronicles is a turn based strategy/third person shooter set in something akin to an AU at the time of WWII, complete with weaponry of the period, plus some fantasy elements, whilst also being heavily anime stylised. You could say it was, and still is, rather unique. It was followed by VC2 and VC3 on PSP, although the latter was JP only.

It was for me the most underrated game on PS3, along with SARPBC. A rare example that nailed every element of the game - the art style is fantastic, gameplay easy to get on with but with a learning curve steep enough to keep interest, brilliant soundtrack, and perhaps best of all, the characters and story were an absoloute delight. Well, maybe the wrong choice of words, as it deals head on with the tragedy of war, loss, and the holocaust, but it is all the better for it (plus it had a cameo of Vyse and Aika from Skies of Arcadia which pretty much cements it's position as top 10 of all time for me).

TLDR; Buy them when they're on PSN.

Edited by hogso

It's not your a-typical turn based game, I'll have to link some gameplay. You should play Persona 5 when it's out too, I made a thread for that also if you hadn't already noticed ;)

In short, no. 

It's the same team who developed VC3, media.vision, but not the ps3 game. It is, though, the team who developed all the Wild Arms games, which is probably the most under appreciated JRPG series going. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

There's a demo for Valkyria Chronicles 4 on PSN now. It uses the exact same game engine as the first game, which is great news - but with a few tweaks, and extra soldier types. 

It's really substantial too, you could quite easily sink a couple of hours, or more, in to it. Although, if you know how to play already, then the tutorials become very annoying very quickly. 

The full game is out 25th September on, well, everything basically. 

Â