Buying Mobile Phone shipped from abroad

ender4

I've been looking a buying a new Samsung mobile phone outright (not through my contract).

I found the one i wanted (Galaxy E5) which is a lot cheaper than the equivalent spec phone (Galaxy S5).

I then found out that the website i was going to buy it from www.simplyelectronics.net ships them in from Hong Kong/China, which i don't have a problem with.

My issue is that i've heard there is some region-block on mobile phones?   Will i be able to use this International version of the S5 in the UK?

I can't speak definitively on the subject, but I've seen some international versions of phones (specifically the US version of the HTC m8) only operate on certain frequencies - so you'll need to do some digging as to which frequencies it's able to use, and whether your operator supports those - which could affect whether you're able to use (for instance) 4G on your new purchase.

Financially you will almost certainly have to pay import duty and VAT as it passes customs.

Technically the Samsung site (or GSMarena) will tell you what frequencies it uses and you can check that against your SIM provider.

Â