John Gregory on Villa, Deadly and the FA Cup

CrackpotForeigner

There were a lot of positives about Gregory but he  also came out with rediculous comments about stress and depression and the comment about shooting Yorke was dumb.  Brian Little was a far superior manager. 

Edited by PaulC

Saying you would shoot somebody because he wants to leave  is stupid. If Sherwood used those words about Benteke there would be an outcry now. No Gregory was a  bit of an idiot at times. No class!

It was different times in fairness. I too couldn't understand at the time why Collymore on 30k a week or whatever the wage was back then could be depressed but nowadays it's more easier to understand anyone of any status and wealth can get those symptoms then back in the 90s.

Saying you would shoot somebody because he wants to leave  is stupid. If Sherwood used those words about Benteke there would be an outcry now. No Gregory was a  bit of an idiot at times. No class!

Well yeah, but Aston Villa didn't find Benteke playing football on a beach in Tobago and nurture him through to stardom.

• Like 2

It was different times in fairness. I too couldn't understand at the time why Collymore on 30k a week or whatever the wage was back then could be depressed but nowadays it's more easier to understand anyone of any status and wealth can get those symptoms then back in the 90s.

True there was far less understanding about mental health issues in those days and I think Gregory was regretful later about what he said. I never agreed with him at the time though. i just think someone like Little would have handled it with far more dignity, although maybe the signing of Collymore and the big fee ultimately was Little's downfall. 

Well yeah, but Aston Villa didn't find Benteke playing football on a beach in Tobago and nurture him through to stardom.

Does that really matter. Yorke gave us many good years and we made a huge profit on him and it allowed Gregory to bring in Dublin who didn't do badly for us. and to be fair Yorke would never have won a champions league plus league title with us. 

Edited by PaulC

I was 9 when Yorke left and was completely devasted as I'm sure like many others he was my football idol growing up.

I learnt an important lesson that day, don't get cut up about players leaving as footballers come and go.

If Benteke leaves I'll be disapppointed (and seriously worried about our immediate prospects for next season) but footballers move, he's given his best for the last 3 years, he's a likeable player and so I'd wish him all the best....as long as it's not to mugs like Liverpool or Spurs.

The way football works another good striker will eventually turn up  and be a hero of the Holte end....Little...Peter Withe........Andy Gray....McNally (well he's in the chant)....Platt.....Yorke........Dublin.....JPA (not as good as most of the others but well loved)......Carew........Darren Bent (for 6 months anyway).....Benteke. It's just how football works.

This really should be in this his thread.

• Like 1

The off the cuff comment made by Gregory was not to be taken too literally, he was disappointed to

Hear that Dwight Yorke had been behind his back to Ellis begging him to let him go to United,

Obviously going against what Yorke had promised that he was happy to see his contract with us through.

Yorkes last game before his move was away at Everton, and to say he never broke a sweat is an understatement

You could see from his body language he did not want us and was protecting himself from any injury situation.

I for one can feel empathy for the Manager in that situation, and could understand his off the cuff comment

Being the new season had already begun.

Â