That's McCann Gone Then

JohnCresswell

Following on from J'Lloyd Samuel and Lee Hendrie's departure from the club, Gavin McCann is the next senior pro to be leaving Villa Park, heading the same way as Samuel - he will be signing a deal to play at Bolton Wanderers according to local press.

McCann was bought for £2million in the first summer under David O'Leary. His signing was at the time looked on as hopefully being the player to add a bit of 'bite' to midfield - something the team lacked and one of the reasons why the club was thought to have struggled in the previous season under Graham Taylor.

His addition, along with Tommy Sorensen helped Villa gain a remarkable run which nearly ended with Villa in Europe. Unfortunately it didn't, and Villa never reached those heights again under O'Leary.

Gavin gave Villa something we didn't have - a 'grinder' in midfield. This season, he has attracted a criticism from some fans that his passing has not been up to the standard it should be, and when he found himself out of the team due to injury, he found it hard to reclaim his place due to the form of Craig Gardner.

The Express and Star, are reporting that McCann is currently having a medical in Bolton, close to his home town, and will be signing a deal worth up to £2million for Villa. Four years service and our money back, not bad that.

So thanks Gavin - an honest pro who did his best for the club, but as Villa move on some of the players have to too. That, of course, means players also need to come in, which there haven't been any yet - but I'm sure there will be in a month or so.

My McCann highlight? His goal in the cup against Chelsea - when we thought, just for a second, that our name was on the cup that year. Coincidently, it was Bolton who ended up putting us out of the cup in the next round.

Good article, and good luck to him. I don't think anyone will really have a bad word to say about him. Honest as the day is long and never shirked a challenge. Perhaps a little limited, but he was just what the doctor ordered when we signed him and can leave with his head held high. I would hope that he would get a good reception when he returns next season with Jlloyd.

I hope he does well wherever he ends up playing football next season. He's always given his best for the Villa. It was just a shame that his best wasn't good enough some times and I don't think it would be good enough for the level we are trying to achieve.

I have to agree with the favourite moment. I remember watching that quarter final and thinking it was gonna be our year. When Gavin slid in the winner I was just waiting for the flag to go up and couldn't believe we were winning again because I thought we'd blown it.

If you do leave, good luck, Gavin. :thumb:

no disrespect to gavin - and i'll prob get stick for this but i am very glad to hear this

we need better than Gavin McCann

and this singnals that better WILL be coming sooner rather than later

Good luck Gavin - not too much tho :winkold:

Â