VillaTalk Fantasy Baseball League 2013

maqroll

Last year we generally had kind of half-hearted interest, and I ended up deleting the league cuz it just wasn't happening.

I can set up a league as long as we have 10 players who can stay active and engaged for the whole season (April through September)

If you are interested, and are willing to stay at it even if your team starts to suck  :P , jot your name down on this thread. If we get a total of 10 committed managers, I'll set it up on Yahoo.

We can do a Head to Head league (just like the NFL league where teams play each other for a week and playoffs), or we can do a Roto league, which is everyone battling everyone every night (First place at end of season wins it all) Here is a breakdown of how roto works:

Your entire team builds up stats in various categories, such as wins, saves, batting average, homers, and so on (usually half are for batters and half for pitchers). Teams are then ranked based on how well they're doing in each category. For example, in a 10 team league you'd rank everyone in RBIs. Whoever has the most throughout the season up to that point gets 10 points, second place gets 9, and on down to last place who gets 1. You do this for each stat category, add up the points, and get a final ranking based on those. So you're always competing against everyone else. There's some quirky strategies that arise from this. Say you're doing real well in steals, and are greatly outdistancing second place. You may trade your speed guys late in the year, figuring that you'll remain in first place and anything on top of that is just wasted. Also, a great home run hitter with a terrible batting average is a double- edged sword, so you have to look out to make sure a "star" player isn't killing you in the qualitative stats. Finally, guys who can steal bases and make saves are much more valuable then in real life, because one or two dominant players in that category can pretty much be an easy ticket to 10 points.

If you want to play, sign your name here, and tell me if you prefer Head to Head or Roto

• 1 month later...

A mate invited me to an ESPN league he was doing this season and I much prefer the ESPN fantasy stuff to Yahoo. I find it more user friendly and much easier to navigate. If you're up for doing one on ESPN next season (and/or for the other sports) I'll definitely be up for it. Will probably have to get randoms since theres not many baseball folks on here it seems!

Â