Tablet for video calling

NurembergVillan

My mate is looking to buy a tablet for his parents who are in their early 70s.  He has an iPad and wants to be able to video call his parents so they can see his kids etc.

He's been asking me for advice but I've helped as much as I can.  My best recommendation was a refurbed iPad.

His folks wont really use it for much other than video calling so it doesn't need to be all singing and dancing, or have a lot of storage.  Ideally they'll want something that is simple and has a big screen - hence my shout for him to get them an iPad.  Really though he's looking to get something as cheap as he can but would be willing to fork out if it's the best option.

Soooo - can you help?

Big screen (say 10")

Easy to use for older people who have no touch screen experience etc

No real need for storage

Must be able to video call with an iPad (so shared apps), with group chats a bonus

Lower price is better but it's about getting the functionality right

The advantage of an iPad is facetime, but I don't think that can do group chat?

The best group  / single video chat is Google+ Hangouts, and anything either Android or Apple can do that.

If it was me I'd be getting a Nexus 10 if the size is absolutely required, but a Nexus 7 is the better buy all round.

There are many cheaper options available, but you're best sticking with the simplest stuff for old people.

• Like 1

Â