PAC Codes

MMFy

I've just phoned Orange to request my PAC Code so I can transfer it to another network and I have been told I have to pay off the rest of my contract to get it. As far as I am aware, I can get my PAC Code at any time as long as I continue to pay my bill.

Does anyone know the law on PAC Codes? I believe Orange are holding me to ransom...

I've just phoned Orange to request my PAC Code so I can transfer it to another network and I have been told I have to pay off the rest of my contract to get it. As far as I am aware, I can get my PAC Code at any time as long as I continue to pay my bill. Also, the figure quoted to me to pay off the contract does not appear to correspond with anything and looks like it has been pulled out of the air.

Does anyone know the law on PAC Codes? I believe Orange are holding me to ransom...

Shit, that was supposed to be an edit... :suspect:

I think they are within their rights to hold you to the contract. Ask them to explain the settlement figure. (insert Giffgaff plug).

It's a tricky one though - the two years of the contract is up on Sunday and I have given them the month's notice. In fact, I have been telling them since February that I would not renew, by telephone and in writing. The settlement is supposed to be the remainder of the line rental of the contract but is actually

They will not agree that the contract finishes on Sunday though, claiming it runs until September as I upgraded early. This was not communicated at the point of sale and there is nothing in writing/print to support their claim.

I'm not going to pay them, and I am happy to take them to court. Can they legally hold back the code?

From what I understand, they can't hold back the code.

However, them giving you the code (and you using it to move networks) would not affect the contract, so you could get the code and still owe them as per the contract.

Whether the contract expires Sunday or September is another issue.

I don't think that's right Levi, not in the UK anyway. AFAIK Orange have always insisted that contracts are paid up before they'll release the PAC.They aren't holding you to ransom, they are using the only leverage they have to make you pay the rest of your contract. It'll take you longer than September to get this to court, so I think you need to play their game and ask for a copy of the contract or phone call where you agreed to the extra term. You can do this by submitting a DPA data subject access request if they won't take you at your word. However the rule with Orange has always been, dial again. You often get different answers from different reps.

It'll take you longer than September to get this to court, so I think you need to play their game and ask for a copy of the contract or phone call where you agreed to the extra term. You can do this by submitting a DPA data subject access request if they won't take you at your word.

I might just have to try that. I know they have no evidence of an agreement - they sent me an email saying I bought my phone from a local Orange Retail Store, yet I upgraded through their own Customer Service and have a delivery note to prove it. They have already misquoted this - in writing.

However the rule with Orange has always been, dial again. You often get different answers from different reps.

Their customer service is laughable. I had a brief conversation with an Orange rep (who called me) this afternoon who hung up on me, I had two missed calls while I was in the office from them, yet when I called them at approximately 5pm today, they never had any record of calls made to me.

Job done. MMFy 1 - 0 Orange.

I've got the PAC Code and not paid them a penny. Serves them right for trying to bullshit me...

Â