Marbella

LockStockVilla

So I have my mum and sister visiting me from the states and one of the places I am taking them to is Spain. Definitely want to go to a beach area and do not fancy any of the big city stuff. Was thinking most likely Marbella. Has anyone been there before and have advice on best places to stay, etc. Aside from there was maybe looking at Alicante. Suggestions would be very welcome, cheers!

It's quite pricey and if you're not into flashy people you're best not spending much time in Puerto Banus. It is worth a look there though. I've spent a lot of time there. Check out Chef Peking in Puerto Banús for top chinese food.

Generally the beaches are decent and the weather is usually always good. Marbella is pretty easy to get to as well of course and if you hire a car you can visit a lot of nice small places along the coast and Marbella can be a good base for that. Go up from there to Ronda, easy drive (well now the roads are better) and really close.. really nice town really high up!

You'll get people tell you marbella is where the posers go, true but not totally at all. You can get a quiet beach, clean too.

I usually stay with friends but last time I stayed at the Barceló Marbella which was good, just not ideal if you haven´t got a car or don´t like walking 15 minutes into the town (San Pedro) from where you can get a bus. I did that in May, I didn't mind at all and on the night the area is pretty safe too, so walking back in pitch black for a few mins wasn't so bad. But you may want a car/taxi :)

Cheers! Yeah the main thing that I had heard from a few people was just saying you get all the posers and fake people going there, and that is all it is full of, but good to hear that is not all it is. Only down for a few days so all I really wanted was a nice beach destination anyways.

It's even easier to get to than Marbella :)

People berate Spain for the english lot that go there but that's a minority really. South Spain is beautiful, you just let it be and enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
Â