Irish Football- The state its in

Meath_Villan

Didn't realise that, yep Tomme Dunne is Richard's cousin. Was Doolin's assistant and is doing grand, their first season up. Bohs are the Villa of Ireland... Once big, lost all their good players, now struggling at the wrong end of the league!

At moment Bohs are in transition, have a few decent youngsters but have no strikers. Few mates seen them live and said they are decent until they get to the box. Where Villa are jsut not decent at all :(

• 4 weeks later...

Just popped my head in here, I don't get why some people really dislike Derry and want them out of the league altogether.

It'd be like losing Cork, Sligo, Dundalk, Shamrock Rovers etc.

I guess there's still an anti-Nordie sentiment amongst some.

I agree with the statements that clubs should be running on a similar model as Rovers, it's the only way that it's sustainable. Paying players for 52 weeks work when they actually work much, much less is a great idea. I think the league is going to have a number of clubs going under before it can really recover. Thankfully Irish teams are starting to fare a lot better in Europe than they have done previously. Once they all get their financial act together, the next logical step is grassroots and pushing for a high quality footballing development system. (Hell will probably freeze over before Delaney and his crew figure this one out).

I always loved the atmosphere at the Brandywell. Granted it's a shithole but the craic was great. Cork fans were always a blast when they came up, hopefully it's still the same today. That's what I loved most about LoI when I lived in Ireland, the craic was almost always brilliant and most sets of fans were welcoming and there was always banter.

never really heard many people say they want Derry out of the league, they do have an advantage with paying hteir players in sterling but I think they usually bring good support and would be a poorer league without them.

The fact 5 players in squad for Euros played in the league plus Fahey who was injured tells that its a lot more talent than people here in Ireland give it credit for

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed. If the FAI can get itself into some sort of shape (It'll take a revolution for this to happen) the league will grow and become stronger, not to mention the national team.

The footballing system in Ireland needs a kick up the arse, we're going to fall so far behind it's not even funny (Most of the grounds in the league are embarrassing to start with).

Â