Will Arshavin stop us reaching the Champions League?

BOF

Arshavin is a top notch player, and will blow people away with his talent when he gets fit and in form..

Spain basically had Puyol and Senna watching every move he made in that game in the Euros. Not performing well against the best national team in europe possibly the world is no disgrace as some of our players were shown last night.

seems some use that one game to write the bloke off.

would have bloody loved the guy here. He will make a big difference to Arsenal, but luckily too late to make any real impact this season.

seems some use that one game to write the bloke off.

he is 27

presumably, he has been playing top level football for at least six or seven years

Honestly, had you heard of him before England got beaten in Russia? Is it possible in this day and age that some nobody at that sort of age can suddenly be a someone?

Bear in mind, that were it not for England's shambolic performance against Croatia he wouldnt have even been at Euro 2008 ....

Honestly, had you heard of him before England got beaten in Russia? Is it possible in this day and age that some nobody at that sort of age can suddenly be a someone?

Hi PB. I think your question is a fair one, but i think there are two reasons why Arshavin hasn't come to prominence as quickly as most other exciting players.

Firstly, Arshavin was playing his football in Russia, which certainly doesn't have the same media coverage as most other european leagues, even though, he was still earning top european wages! Secondly, Arshavin started his career playing in midfield, but found his true position when he was switched to a striking role, either as a second striker, or in the hole, behind the main striker!

I am as interested as you are to see if he adapts to the pace of our Premiership. I don't think our inclement weather will hinder him for obvious reasons and even though he will play for one of our rivals, i am looking forward to see another excellent footballer display his talents in our Premiership, just as long as we finish in fourth place, or better!

I think the comeback of Eduardo will be more of a threat than Arshavin.

Interesting point. Adebayor has reverted to type (type being donkey) for now and Eduardo does seem to have that extra bit of quality.

Remains to be seen how he'll perform. I don't view his signing as the second coming of the messiah.

I'd've liked to see a midfield breaker but no-one was available at a reasonable price and I spose currently our problem is creating enough chances to score since Cesc got injured.

At 27 he does represent a departure from our kindergarten policy but, i see it as a good thing. What we've lacked in the attacking dept is someone with proven top class experience.

Glad he's with us and for a reasonable price. I'm sure if the Spuds or citeh had gone in for him they'd've paid a british record price for him.

Think their next two home league games are crucial. If they drop points in those then Arshavin or not, I'd say 4th is there for the taking.

We could be talking about close to a 10 point gap at that stage. Even with Arshavin and those who are due to return from injury, that should be too much to make up between now and the end of the season.

I expect them to win both of those games however. And us to draw (or maybe even lose to Chelsea). Still think 4th will go right to the wire.

I genuinely think Chel$ki will be finishing 5th now. We are getting results on a more consistent basis than anyone other than Man Ure. Now that may not continue quite to that extent, but while Arsenal are chasing us for 4th, we are both getting results at a faster rate than Chel$ki and I think we will both overhaul them. And as much as Arsenal need CL money to pay for the Emirates, Chel$ki need it far more to pay for their very existence. So here's cheering on both Villa & Arsenal. After all, despite Wenger being a myopic grump, he does produce very pretty football teams :) (not in the Will Young way you understand ...).

Yes I had honestly heard of him before the euros, and just because you hadnt doesnt mean you should assume no-one else has. Admittedly not long before then, as he only really rose to prominance in russia in 2006-2007.

the russian league is a good quality league with lots of very good players. Not many make the switch to the premiership mainly because the russian clubs dont let their stars go easily (as youve seen with this whole protracted saga) and they cant be gotten on the cheap, add to that it doesnt get the exposure of other leagues, the fact they are already on very high wages, and the worry about whether they will settle etc etc and its no big surprise really.

i love the arrogance some European fans have......whaaaaat he is 27 and never played in England, Spain or Italy? Must be shite then.....

i love the arrogance some European fans have......whaaaaat he is 27 and never played in England, Spain or Italy? Must be shite then.....

There is a certain element of truth to that though. If a player is any good, a Euro scout has him spotted coming out of diapers. No matter what country they play in, though the likes of Brazil are particularly heavily pillaged. In this day and age no player can remain under wraps for any length of time even in an obscure youth team. For someone like Arshavin to, lets face it, not be a household name getting on for 28 does raise the question 'where has he been'. It's not really arrogance, it's a valid question. You have gone some way to answering it. People underestimate the money in the Russian league. Why, I don't know as it's clear the oil runs the show. And the quality is getting better there too but the fact is that at his age he will for the first time be going into the unknown and having to learn a new league. Something he has never had to do before. He may well succeed, but it is by no means a guarantee even for someone of his alleged quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish he could stop you reaching the Champions League. Although his perspectives are not that bright as Zenit fans supposed to see.

I personally do not understand Villa's "attempt" in the UEFA cup - are you planning to get to the CL if so, then why you were trying so hard to get to the 1/16 of the Cup?

To my mind you lost the game back in Birmingham exactly when our stunning top-scorer V.Love scored a magnificent goal.

Wish u to be the fifth in ur League. And make room for other lads that REALLY wanna play in every single game in the European arena, but not to practise tactical sophistications whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...
I wish he could stop you reaching the Champions League. Although his perspectives are not that bright as Zenit fans supposed to see.

I personally do not understand Villa's "attempt" in the UEFA cup - are you planning to get to the CL if so, then why you were trying so hard to get to the 1/16 of the Cup?

To my mind you lost the game back in Birmingham exactly when our stunning top-scorer V.Love scored a magnificent goal.

Wish u to be the fifth in ur League. And make room for other lads that REALLY wanna play in every single game in the European arena, but not to practise tactical sophistications whatsoever.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and you're posting for a reaction.

I'm not sure why you'd root for Arsenal either. If you met them in the Champion's League they'd batter you.

Â