The Scourge of Commerce: Upselling, "Service Plans," Subscriptions, "Add Ons"

Marka Ragnos

Posted (edited)

It feels like it's impossible to just buy one thing, watch one game, attend one event, get one service done nowadays without being pressured to sign up for something or shamed into thinking you're doing something wrong if you don't take the upsell or join a "plan."

I know that this ship sailed long ago, but I find the retail approach of "upselling" has infiltrated every pore of our society. Where does it end? 

I went to get a simple bicycle service -- a brake adjustment. -- at my local bicycle shop last week. I can do this work myself, and I have, but I also sometimes appreciate having another set of eyes and experience level on an adjustment because I sometimes forget what "normal" is, if that makes sense?

Well, the kid at the shop also talked me into getting some nice new bar tape. Fine. No problem. But then I get a phone call five days later from the chief mechanic claiming my bicycle is a danger and citing "liability issues" with his claim that I need more than £400 of additional parts and work on my perfectly operating bike if I don't want to kill myself and sue his shop, etc. 

I said no, and he seemed very angry. This shop has a rep for upselling, I like to support local business, but I can do virtually every one of the bike repairs etc. myself;  but it's messy and takes time, obviously, so I appreciate getting a shop to do some things. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

If only everything were money so well invested. 😉😁

Should I add some more tiers?

• Haha 1

Â