WhatsApp

mjmooney

I've just got a new Android phone. An Oppo (as was my last one). Transition worked pretty smoothly (apps and data transferred), everything pretty much as it was. 

But WhatsApp is behaving a bit oddly. As it happens, I've still got the old phone switched on, and connected to wifi, although the sim card has gone into the new phone. My incoming WhatsApp group messages seem to randomly arrive at one phone or the other, but never both. I'm guessing that if I just switch the old phone off, they'll all come to the new one, but I'm intrigued as to, er, What'sAppening... 

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've just got a new Android phone. An Oppo (as was my last one). Transition worked pretty smoothly (apps and data transferred), everything pretty much as it was. 

But WhatsApp is behaving a bit oddly. As it happens, I've still got the old phone switched on, and connected to wifi, although the sim card has gone into the new phone. My incoming WhatsApp group messages seem to randomly arrive at one phone or the other, but never both. I'm guessing that if I just switch the old phone off, they'll all come to the new one, but I'm intrigued as to, er, What'sAppening... 

They've made changes recently so that the web clients work properly when they aren't phones. You should be receiving it on both, but this is facebook. It's more important to them to track your usage. The usability comes second.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

They've made changes recently so that the web clients work properly when they aren't phones. You should be receiving it on both, but this is facebook. It's more important to them to track your usage. The usability comes second.

Thanks. Yeah, I was expecting the messages to come to either the phone with the sim, OR both. But they were definitely alternating, so that conversations were randomly split between the two. My best guess would be that it tried one method (phone or wifi) first, and if there was even the slightest delay for any reason, immediately switched to the other. 

Anyway, I've turned the old phone off now, so hopefully everything will arrive at the new one OK. 

• Like 1

Â