Snapdragon 810 64-bit processor Overheating

Guest av1

My phone is on its last legs so i have been looking around for a new one, i'm pretty taken with the Z5 compact, but i have been a little put off by numerous on-line reports about the processor overheating. has anyone had similar issues with the processor in question? 

Mu z3+ (with the snapdragon 810) gets hot sometimes, but nothing that I'd worry about. It only happens when I'm really working it, like bluetooth audio and the wifi hotspot. Are the reports you are reading new? Or specific to that particular handset model?

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

Mu z3+ (with the snapdragon 810) gets hot sometimes, but nothing that I'd worry about. It only happens when I'm really working it, like bluetooth audio and the wifi hotspot. Are the reports you are reading new? Or specific to that particular handset model?

Thanks Limpid,

My initial search was specific to that the particular handset after reading a couple of reviewers talking about issues they had. After reading a bit further into it, it seems there have been issues with other handsets using this processor. 

This was one report i read, from October.

The Sony Xperia Z5 Compact is apparently facing some overheating issues, and the Snapdragon 810 chipset is again considered the culprit.

The Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 64-bit processor is no doubt powerful, but overheating issues have been plaguing nearly every device it powered. By now it's no longer a secret that smartphones packing the Snapdragon 810 tend to overheat, but some OEMs have found various ways to prevent this from becoming an issue.

Others, meanwhile, have chosen to avoid the Snapdragon 810 altogether. Samsung, for instance, preferred to equip its flagships with Exynos chipsets, while some other OEMs opted for the Snapdragon 808 instead of the overheating 810.

Nevertheless, there are still plenty of OEMs that still relied on the Snapdragon 810 for their handsets, and most of them are now facing criticism and complaints of overheating issues.

There are three people in my small office with z3+ handsets and none of us have had this.  "Apparently" in the first sentence is probably important to note. I suspect it affects a vocal minority (I don;t read anonymous reviews). GSM Arena has 32 handsets with this chipset. All the manufacturers have used in except Samsing. I suspect they could get a price point acceptable to them.

In the UK, you've got 14 days to send it back no questions asked (esp if buying online) and for the first six months the retailer would have to prove to wasn't a fault - from your searching I don't think they could. They'll try and fob you off by referring it to the manufacturer, but that's because they ignore the law.

Put at least £100 of the purchase on a credit card to maximise your rights.

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

There are three people in my small office with z3+ handsets and none of us have had this.  "Apparently" in the first sentence is probably important to note. I suspect it affects a vocal minority (I don;t read anonymous reviews). GSM Arena has 32 handsets with this chipset. All the manufacturers have used in except Samsing. I suspect they could get a price point acceptable to them.

In the UK, you've got 14 days to send it back no questions asked (esp if buying online) and for the first six months the retailer would have to prove to wasn't a fault - from your searching I don't think they could. They'll try and fob you off by referring it to the manufacturer, but that's because they ignore the law.

Put at least £100 of the purchase on a credit card to maximise your rights.

Thank you. :thumb:

Given all the very good reviews, i imagined it must be a minority, but handsets these days are not bloody cheap so i wanted to be sure, thanks again. 

Just now, av1 said:

Thank you. :thumb:

Given all the very good reviews, i imagined it must be a minority, but handsets these days are not bloody cheap so i wanted to be sure, thanks again. 

Because they aren't cheap, understand your rights. Buy the phone and contract separately and use a credit card. Be ready to return it in the 14 days cooling off period.

My Z3 regularly gets hot when I use it for watching videos.  Amazes me they know the processor overheats cuz when you put it in 4k record mode there's a warning about it, yet they still use it. I'm sure that's the reason I have what appears to be a burn mark on my screen. Pity it's over 12 months old though. 

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

My Z3 regularly gets hot when I use it for watching videos.  Amazes me they know the processor overheats cuz when you put it in 4k record mode there's a warning about it, yet they still use it. I'm sure that's the reason I have what appears to be a burn mark on my screen. Pity it's over 12 months old though. 

The Z3 doesn't use the S810, it uses the S801.

If it's a design fault, SoGA gives you up to 6 years protection from the retailer (you have to prove it is a fault after 6 months). There's nothing in UK consumer law which is a 12 month limit.

Â