Trouble Playing a DVD on laptop.

Guest av1

Evening all. 

I've just tried to play a DVD on my laptop and nothing is happening, I can just hear the disk spinning. I've had a look online and it seems that with windows 10 Microsoft have removed DVD support. 

The general recommendations was to install a program called VLC Player. I have done that, and I'm still having no joy, I can still hear the disk spinning but with the following message

'Your input cannot be opened. VLC is unable to open MRL' dvd'///E://'

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Is the dvd drive showing up in device manager?

VLC is brilliant, so it is most likely a hardware or driver issue.

Microsoft give this advice:

Method 1

I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

To open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type control in the Run dialog box, then press Enter.
  3. In the Search box in Control Panel, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
  4. Under the Hardware and Sound item, click Configure a device. If you are prompted to enter an administrator password or provide confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If your problem is not solved, try the next resolution.

Method 2

Update or reinstall the driver:

To update the driver, search for the driver on the device manufacturer's website, and then follow the installation instructions on the website.

To reinstall the driver, follow these steps:

2. Type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
  3. In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.
  4. When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.
  5. Restart the computer.

After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed

35 minutes ago, V01 said:

Method 1

3. In the Search box in Control Panel, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
  4. Under the Hardware and Sound item, click Configure a device. If you are prompted to enter an administrator password or provide confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Method 2

To update the driver, search for the driver on the device manufacturer's website, and then follow the installation instructions on the website.

2. Type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
  3. In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.
  4. When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.
  5. Restart the computer.

Method 1

Method 2

5. Restart the computer.

Method 1

Method 2

5. Restart the computer.

Tried both methods with no luck. It must be terminal :(

1 hour ago, limpid said:

If you find these things hard, buy a ChromeBook and subscribe to NetFlix / Amazon Prime. If you want to learn, ask questions :) 

Before I purchased the laptop In about April/may I came into this forum undecided as to whether to buy a Chromebook or laptop, and i remember you recommending a Chromebook. 

7 months later I'm regretting not taking your advice.  

Â