Don Bradman Cricket 14

ThunderPower_14

Just after I posted the above I broke through for an 87 and man of the match in a first class match. Passing that 50 mark was incredibly satisfying.

It was a shame to miss out on the ton but I felt genuinely in control all innings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really need some opinions on this, I don't buy many games and this is pretty expensive.

What is the bowling like? Does it feel like you can bowl quick? Too many cricket games, it doesn't matter on the bowler as the batsmen can play whatever shot they want. Same goes for length, batsmen always seem to be able to play whatever shot they want in other games almost regardless of length. Can you knock the stumps out of the ground?

Is patient batting rewarded or does it become a case of nailing everything over cow corner? Can you bat 4/5 day style or is it boring? Does it feel like someone is bowling at 90mph?

Edited by AndyClarke

Really need some opinions on this, I don't buy many games and this is pretty expensive.

What is the bowling like? Does it feel like you can bowl quick? Too many cricket games, it doesn't matter on the bowler as the batsmen can play whatever shot they want. Same goes for length, batsmen always seem to be able to play whatever shot they want in other games almost regardless of length. Can you knock the stumps out of the ground?

Is patient batting rewarded or does it become a case of nailing everything over cow corner? Can you bat 4/5 day style or is it boring? Does it feel like someone is bowling at 90mph?

I've batted a lot more so i'll talk about that first.

If you try to spank everything for 6 you'll get out very quickly, especially in the early parts of your career mode. You don't have to block, but you will have to just knock the ball around and take singles and twos. If you try and drive short balls outside off, you'll edge the ball. You'll get yourself out a lot but you'll barely ever feel like you've been hard done by, it's always your fault (except for runouts). I get out quite a lot because they've spread the field and I can only push singles, and I get impatient.

You use your left stick for footwork and your right stick to make the shot. There is no radar on the pitch where the ball is going to land. There will be a red ring around the ball when it's released if it's short, green if it's a good length, and yellow if it's full. You just eyeball the line.

It's very hard to do anything but plant your front foot early, but you get a lot better with play.

Bowling I haven't done as much of because my career player is an opening bat, but you use your sticks again. Right stick for line and length (with release time determining length), and left stick for swing/spin/cut etc. Bowling is a little overpowered at this stage compared to batting, but apparently that will be patched.

Cheers, does it feel like the bowler can whizz it past your nose? Do you get that feeling of pace or is it placid like all other cricket games?

Not expecting them to be able to recreate that feeling of someone sharp charging into bowl in real life but would be nice to think the ball zips around and you can nick it. Suppose that is another question, do you edge a lot, is it dynamic enough to go to to something other than keeper or one of the slips? Can you get beaten by a ball that is too good?

Edited by AndyClarke

Cheers, does it feel like the bowler can whizz it past your nose? Do you get that feeling of pace or is it placid like all other cricket games?

Not expecting them to be able to recreate that feeling of someone sharp charging into bowl in real life but would be nice to think the ball zips around and you can nick it. Suppose that is another question, do you edge a lot, is it dynamic enough to go to to something other than keeper or one of the slips? Can you get beaten by a ball that is too good?

When you get an opening bowler bowling 90+ mph at you it can be incredibly hard to face. You will get bounced unplayably, especially if you plant the front foot a bit.

You edge when playing the wrong shot or mistiming, much like in real life. If someone is a leftie bowling across me, and I try to cover drive a short ball, unless my timing is bang on i'll either miss it, or edge it and get caught behind. Generally apart from the odd short delivery, you can play everything if you time it well enough.

Probably the most often I get beaten is when they bring the straight fielders in, so I decide i'll go over the top, and then I get bowled by a yorker. Totally suckered in :)

I got a bit sick of playing for the Redbacks, so i've started a career with Warwickshire and i'm performing pretty well! No ton yet, although I did hit one in an Australian domestic T20 game, but I have hit a few 50s in the first class comp.

• 8 months later...

I knew there was a thread for this in here somewhere!

I got this game for Christmas and I have to say that I love it. It is by far the most realistic cricket video game I have ever played, and when you bat using the "Pro Mode" camera, it really does feel like you're batting there yourself. Except of course when you get pinned by a rapid opening bowler, it doesn't hurt.

I'm into the fifth season of my career game now, and as an opening batsman I have just started to get some consistent scores in all formats of the game, and it feels so rewarding finally getting there. My overall averages are still lest than 16 across al three formats, but this season they're all over 40, so hopefully soon I'll start cranking them up and get contracts over in Australia, and maybe even a call up for England.

Â