Bulgaria and Greece

villaguy

I spent a few months of the summer in these countries. I was at first in Sofia then heading to Veliko Tarnovo before finally heading to Thessaloniki. Bulgaria despite being in the EU is a complete culture shock, it has fantastic untouched scenery, and if you don't mind the communist style architecture, some great cities. One ugly but interesting aspect of the country is the social make-up, there are more nice cars to be seen in Sofia than in London. There is a massive disparity between rich and poor there, there is no middle class at all. They either drive or be driven around in AMG Mercs or go about their daily business looking for scraps in bins. Have any of the VT crew been there or want to go there? I'd definitely recommend a visit as it's a not the regular kind of predictable place to go to, it's definitely an eye opener. Thessaloniki was mint for the night life also 

Edit: Never seen a better array of stunning girls than in these two countries either, 10 out of 10 lasses all over the place 

Edited by villaguy

What made you travel around Bulgaria and greece for a few months?? Seems like two unusual places to travel around for months.

Been to a few places in greece. Not the cleanest of places. Lots of rubbish, graffiti,etc. Wasnt a fan of the corfu and crete islands. Santorini was beautiful though. Magnificent place.

Been to varna and sunny beach (yeah I know) in Bulgaria. Wasnt a fan of either. Very cheap but the food was inedible. Found it boring to be honest although I hear Bulgaria is great for sking. Romania was better...bulgarian women are stunning however.

I've been to many westernised countries and this trip was to see the opposite side of life really, particularly Bulgaria (could of been Ukraine, Belorussia, Russia etc.). Graffiti is something that certain cultures don't mind, it didn't put me off really and I found Thessoloniki a really inspired place to be, it didn'y seem like they was in an economic slump at all and the people were very proud of their national identity whilst realising they had made mistakes. I thought the Bulgarian dishes were very nice to be honest too. I didn't like the way the country was run, people with respectable jobs like University lecturers and air traffic controllers who I'd met had the same wage as you'd get on jobseekers, yet the mafia there was very evident and very well off. So much to say on the place really if you have any questions

Edit: worked out well being in Sofia the time I was as Stan's match was on, worked out well. Amazing how many Dortmund fans were there for the CL final too, the Irish pub was overun by them. Yeah going down the main shopping street in Sofia you see so many pretty girls it's unreal, they must have a gene there or something that makes them like that, Thessaloniki was the same and Veliko Tarnovo. When I went to France it was the opposite, a few nice girls seperated by a thousand rough tarted up attempts at pretty girls.

Edited by villaguy

I spent 6 weeks in Greece in 1992. Watched the Euro Cup final with a mob of drunken Swedes...I spent most of my time in the Cyclades, particularly on Sifnos, a hidden gem of an island, not very touristy at all. 

Athens was a dump, I spent about two days there in total, saw the sites, and that's it. You'd blow your nose after a day of walking around the city, and out would come black snot. 24 hour traffic, too, constant noise.

Yeah Athens is surprisingly big, one of Europes biggest cities. I don't think Thessaloniki is particularly touristy either, it's a very young and studenty kind of city which I think makes it feel so vibrant but with none of the trashy feel vacation places often feel. I'd definitely recommend it as a place to visit, it's like Spain without the anti-british vibe

Thessaloniki has more bars and cafe's per capita than anywhere else in Europe. During the evening the streets are filled with people enjoying themselves, all the bars are very bespoke and wonderfully decorated. It's a million miles away from the nights out in the UK, the drinks are expensive though as a downside. Wikitravel do a good write-up on the place. Back to Bulgaria now, Bedroom club in Sofia is amazing, the walls are carpeted in carpets that are meant to enhance the music, there is no expense spared there, it's so plush!

Nice, I'm jealous of your Bulgaria trip. It's not a typical destination, and I like that. Did the communists destroy old architecture and erect grim concrete slabs like in Romania?

There are many grim buildings as you'd descibe, however as I was told most are lovely inside. It's hard to support the country when it has legacies that you describe. Yet it has qualities that the western world finds hard to support. If people go on holiday looking for certan things and luxuries that they expect to find at home they will be dissapointed, I'd tell them to go to New York

Â