Player Profile: John Carew

JohnCresswell

Norwegian Villan TRL profiles Villa's first transfer window signing:

Height: 1.93m. Weight: 90.00kg. Nationality: Norway

Born: 05/09/1979 in Lorenskog

Nicknames: The Hulk, Lille-John (Little-John)

Former clubs: Lørenskog, Vålerenga, Rosenborg, Valencia, AS Roma (loan), Besiktas and Lyon.

This tower of power was born in Lørenskog Norway, and already from the age of 17 is was playing regularly for the top Norwegian side Vålerenga. Here he contributed massively, and was a key factor in his side winning the Norwegian Cup.

His talent was acknowledged and soon Rosenborg bought his favours. One season later, having both domestic and European success, his journey continued to the Spanish outfit Valencia. Despite having success, winning Spanish La Liga 2002 and playing in the Champions League final, Carew was unwanted at the club. After being loaned out for a season to AS Roma in Italian Serie A, the Norwegian moved to Turkey, seeking fortunes with Besiktas. After his first season here, scoring 13 goals in 24 matches, he gathered interest from French Champions Lyon. This resulted with a move to the French side , where he endured 2 seasons with mixed success, before moving to Villa in January 2007.

John Carew is known on the pitch for strength, technique and suprising pace for his size.

For the national side Carew has 59 matches and 14 goals.

Off the pitch he is known for being a contributor and supporter of fighting racisme, crime and youth violence.

In 2005 John Carew was voted the best Norwegian footballer, both domestic and abroad.

On a more personal matter, I've seen people naming him troublemaker etc. And i cannot see where this is coming from. He is well known for being a joker, but not a troublemaker.IMO he can and probably will be a proper hit in the dressing room.

Lets hope he gets settled in at Villa, because this ladies and gentlemen, this is a type of player we have been missing for far to long.

Let the good times roll.

A fair assesment that, Tarj. I particularily agree with the bit about him being a potential hit in the dressing room. He's a very cheerful lad, who'll get along with pretty much anyone. Always a smile on his face, it seems.

Welcome to Villa, John. I'll be there to give you a warm welcome when we entertain West Ham, and hopefully you'll help make it a successful trip for me.

Â