Film and TV System (Apple TV)

Qwpzxjor1

Anyone know if Apple TV or equivalent systems allow you to store all your films and TV Shows on external hard drives and connect them to it without having it connected to a computer also?

I'm looking for a long term solution for storing and streaming all my films on a few external hard drives. I only own a laptop though and I don't really want to have my whole library come through that, would rather just go directly to the files.

Happy to use the laptop to organise and create Library, etc, I just don't want the laptop to have to be running each time I want to watch the films..

Can anything like this be set up? If so, what's the best way to go about it?

My brother has Apple TV and it works fantastically, but he connects it to his iMac's Library so I'm just not sure I can use it to do what I want to do.

Cheers. Rather not do any jailbreaking and such forth. Are there any other systems out there other than Apple TV?

I don't have stuff organised in iTunes (except music), most of the stuff I owe is on DVD and I'm yet to digitise it, so I'm not restricted to iTunes..

I saw a Roku TV in maplins going cheap. Might work for you.

I use ATV2 and 3, just jailbroken the 2, never jb'd an apple item before. It was pretty easy and painless and now I've played with xbmc a bit i'm warming to it. I streamed a 720p movie last night for example with no buffering at all. Schweet. May not be allowable though ;)

Â