I Can't See Tweets Because I Don't Have A Twitter Account But I can See them On This Forum- Why?

16 hours ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

A few days ago, Twitter put a block on people seeing tweets if you don't have an account. That includes me.

But if someone posts a tweet in this forum then I can see it (in the forum only - not if i click on it) 

Why is that?

I think the why is purely a business decision - it's one thing to compel users who visit your website to sign up to an account if they want to do anything, but VT isn't the only place using their embedding API, you also see it used in news articles all over the place, and as much as Musk likes to cry about the mainstream media, he'll know how much traffic, and therefore ad revenue, is driven to them by embedded tweets in news stories.

If you're more wondering about the how, and what enables them to stop you viewing them on the site, but let's VT get around that restriction, the content that's embedded on VT and other sites uses the Twitter embed API. They have locked down viewing the pages on their own site behind a login wall, but have kept open the public embed service that third party sites use to request their data.  I don't think that the requests sent to get data displayed via their embed system associate the end user with a specific Twitter account or understands the context of if you're logged in on the same device, but I'm not certain about that.

It's certainly technically feasible but could be a significant undertaking if they don't already support that - it's one thing to understand that "Villatalk has requested this embedded resource, and it's being called by a user on Chrome with this IP address and this session cookie", and something very different to say "Villatalk has requested this resource, and it's being displayed to Twitter user Spongebob Squarepants". Possible, of course, but not a trivial change if they can't currently do that.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Â