Berger Off The Menu at Villa

villafan306

Martin O'Neill has today announced that Patrik Berger will not play another game for Villa.

After publically advising Gareth Barry to jump at the chance of a move to Liverpool, Martin O'Neill has cut short the Czech midfielder's Villa career.

Patrik Berger joined Villa from Portsmouth on a free transfer in the summer of 2005 and has struggled with injuries during his time at Villa Park. Berger contraversially refused to play for the reserve team last season, after which he was shipped out on loan to Stoke City as a punishment.

After returning from his loan spell the former Liverpool midfielder had a run of substitute appearances during which he impressed enough to get a starting role. However, injuries played their part and he was soon out of the team again and has only made fleeting appearances this season.

Berger was recently quoted in the media as saying "It's Liverpool and if I was in Gareth's position I would go there tomorrow. It is the opportunity of a lifetime in my opinion. I would go to Liverpool and experience it.

Gareth is the heart of our team but Liverpool would be a massive challenge for him. It would be Champions League every year and he would be challenging to win trophies every year.

Liverpool don't come after you every year. They want him because he has had a fantastic season and has been our main player from the beginning to the end. He has also played very well for the national team. I am not surprised they would like to sign him."

And O'Neill reacted in a negative way to these comments and has had his say in the press today: "I was really disappointed and surprised that Patrik, with all his experience of dealing with the press, would make such an inappropriate comment. The sad aspect of it is that we are paying Patrik's wages for him to recommend one of our players to another football club. It's ludicrous.

I think Pat realises that now and he's apologised.He said he didn't mean a great deal of harm but the harm's been done and he won't be playing any part in proceedings from here on in."

Berger was expected to be moving on in the summer anyway, with his contract set to expire in just under 2 months time.

(Credit to messageboard user avfc89 for the cracking title of this article!)

well considering that he only had 1 game left on his contract, i'd guess this "cutting short his career" thing is not going to unduly affect the permanently injured w*nker.

He is lucky he wont play him in the last game cus if i were there i wud make my opinion known of him... hasnt been a good servant to the club so has no right to comment on club players and that they shud jump ship before an important last game... good riddance berger - wont miss him- shows how lucky we have been to get players like melberg who have been a great servant to the club and wish them all the best... not what i can say for berger

• 2 weeks later...

I am not suprised we cut it short albeit by only one game. His comment show he was never truely commited to the club and you cannot have people in your own camp encouraging players to go elsewhere! Good riddens.

Â