Defining Times

LancsVillan

The last few weeks on VT I have found myself trying to work out what we as Villa fans see in ourselves and others.

In order to do that I feel the need to look at some of the words and phrases we bandy around on a daily basis.

First off was the debate around is Ian Taylor a legend or merely a very lucky fan, who happened to live the dream. Well the definition of 'legend' is to me one who did legendary things. Well I'm sorry IT played for Villa, played very well in a decent side but did not do legendary things and he would not get into a list of Villa greats to whom the status of 'legend' should be applied.

Then we have 'Supporter', which is always a touchy subject. As members of this site (except for the few away fans we have) I believe everyone has the right to call themselves a supporter of Aston Villa.

Everyone lives different lives and can show their onward commitment in many different ways. The one thing for sure though is that whilst you are on this site the Mods appreciate these differences, even if there are some who believe that being able to attend games gives them some rights over those who do not.

Faith is another, moreover with the word blind in front of it. The problem is that people are juxtaposing faith with belief. To me I have a belief that the club are moving in the right direction and that they do have five year plan, not a quick fix. I believe that MO'N is the right man to stabilise the club, I have concerns as to whether he can help us to bridge the gap to CL, but I believe he will try his utmost to follow both the 5 year plan and that challenge.

Finally and the reason I looked for some other words we use, I find the phrase 'Top Class' being very much used. To me a 'Top Class' signing is someone who is good enough to ply their trade in the top division, therefore and the very touchy subject on here, both NRC and MH keep with that to me.

It seems that some believe 'Top Class' to mean those players who will get in the Champions League sides and those who are further down their own development plans than we are. Yes in England that means the Top 4 AND Spurs, well I'm sorry but if I am honest we are not in the position to be signing those players just yet. It will come of that I am sure.

We are in a position I believe to try and sign those players - e.g.Defoe and SWP - around the edges of those teams and even targets of those clubs - Sneijder - but I'll not be too disappointed if we don't get them.

Thanks if you've got this far .... I'm off to wonderful wet Devon and Cornwall on Thursday, see you there maybe!

Al

Good post!

I agree 100%. We may have money and big plans but all of our best efforts may not be enough to convince world class players to come to a club that just now is not even in Europe.

Remember, these "top class players" have personal ambitions that will have to go on hold for a least a year if they decide to sign for Villa right now.

Being realistic, if these "world class players" are even half as impatient for success as the fans on this site, then by any standards, that's some sales pitch that MON will need to make to get them to Villa at the moment.

for me a legend is someone who does great things off the pitch as well as on it. and missing yor teams games to watch an old team play certainly is legendary to me. long live the legend of ian taylor!

It seems that some believe 'Top Class' to mean those players who will get in the Champions League sides and those who are further down their own development plans than we are. Yes in England that means the Top 4 AND Spurs, well I'm sorry but if I am honest we are not in the position to be signing those players just yet. It will come of that I am sure.

Carew certainly falls into that bracket, and I think his signing is one of the shrewdest bits of business the club has done for a long time. There are players of his calibre out there

Great post. I agree 100%

The beauty of a web forum when it is working well is that it allows people with a common interest to engage in healthy debate wherever they are in the world. And, in my experience, that is largely what VT has proven to be over the years. The problem comes when people don't have the desire or ability to enter healthy debate, but rather use forums to pour out pure emotion which they cannot back up with constructive or reasoned arguement

but rather use forums to pour out pure emotion which they cannot back up with constructive or reasoned argument

I like this a lot, as that is one thing that we all have shown over this last couple of days, nothing seems to be more emotive than Villa, which I feel is good.

Emotion is great, but personally I feel it needs to be tempered with some form of 'sense check'. Otherwise, you can just write any old rubbish in the heat of the moment and destroy your credibility for future discussion. Once you write and post it is there for all to see. That's fine if you don't mind people then viewing you as a 'hot head' and treating future comments as such. But only IMO!

Â