Computer Training Advice

Guest av1

Guest av1

As i`m sure many of you know from my numerous and i`m sure basic questions in this section of VT, my computer skills are limited to say the least.

i've know decided i want to improve but i'm not sure where to start. i've had a look on line but everything seems to focus on specific areas whereas i've not got any particular aim other than becoming my literate. i'd appreciate any course/material ideas.

Thanks. 

It's not free, but my Mom did a European Computer Driving License (ECDL) course a few years back. I think it cost her about £150 but can't be sure.

I don't think it carries any weight professionally as a qualification, but in terms of grasping the basics it helped her immensely as she was pretty much computer illiterate before that apart from playing solitaire.

I think it's more focused around the work environment, mostly about how to use spreadsheets and email and word documents etc etc but might be something worth looking into if you're serious enough about it to pay money!

Edit: Here is their website. Looks like they do courses for work and for "life". So definitely worth taking a look. but like I said, won't be free.

Edited by Stevo985

Guest av1

Thanks Stevo that looks just the ticket as its just for my own benefit rather than any work purpose.

You could also look at ITQ stuff - here.

Edit: That's the old website.

Quite probably available at your local FE college. Worcester Tech (now called HOW College), for example, do it as a 'roll on/roll off' course.

Edited by snowychap

Thanks Stevo that looks just the ticket as its just for my own benefit rather than any work purpose.

Forgot to mention that she did it at Solihull college so it was classroom based.

I'm sure other colleges would offer the same thing.

Â